Author Topic: Kennel Cough Vaccine - yes or no  (Read 4542 times)

Offline john51

Re: Kennel Cough Vaccine - yes or no
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
Hello, Helen, let me try to answer your points.

More useful information would be the incidences of Kennel Cough that are strains the vaccine doesn't cover which was my point.

I disagree. The information you need when trying to decide whether you want to vaccinate is the percentage chance of your dog being infected despite the vaccine. That is what I provided.  There is no point trying to get technical because it is not relevant and would be more difficult to interpret. The number of strains covered will never be a complete indicator of how effective a vaccine is. In any case, KC is more complex than you indicate.

Antibiotics are ineffectual against Kennel Cough (they do not treat viruses, only bacterial infections)

KC is a multi-factorial disease according to the Merck Manual.

"Bordetella bronchiseptica may act as a primary pathogen, especially in dogs <6 mo old; however, it and other bacteria (usually gram-negative organisms such as Pseudomonas sp, Escherichia coli, and Klebsiella pneumoniae) may cause secondary infections after viral injury to the respiratory tract"

Although it can be secondary to viral infection, many other sources identify it primarily a bacterial infection, and the KC vaccination is frequently known as the Bortedella vaccination. Under some circumstances, prescription of antibiotics can be perfectly sensible treatment.

I note your cynicism about drug company data and agree that they have not always behaved with total transparency or, in some cases, honesty. That is regrettable. What I don't see however is why it might then be sensible to reject all of their output as unsafe and instead, put your faith into an anti-vaccination movement that, as far as I can see has never produced any convincing evidence to support their case.

I do not believe you have presented any hard information in support of your argument, and no references to where your information comes from. You have just made assertions that vaccinations are not very safe. It is not possible to construct a compelling argument like that. Human vaccination adverse affects are in the 1 in 100,000 to 1 in 1,000,000 range. (NHS). The VMD says that:

"During the period 2005-2010 (to date), 12.9 million doses of dog vaccines were sold in the UK and 2,392 adverse reactions were reported from the use of authorised dog vaccines. This represents an incidence rate of 18.5 per 100,000 doses (0.0185%).

The majority of these reactions will be relatively minor, and although there are some serious reactions, the risk benefit ratio of vaccinations is overwhelmingly positive. Vaccination is a massive success story for medicine, both in humans and animals. It is so easy to forget the massive reductions in deaths and damaged lives that vaccination has delivered. Perhaps you will let everyone know about the equivalent contribution to mankind from nosodes and other homeopathic “treatments”.

I have never posted information on here in the expectation that the die-hard "alternative medicine" proponents will be either impressed or convinced. This is for the (hopefully) majority of readers who would like to make rational decisions about treating their dogs, and are in danger of being confused by the recommendations for unproven treatments.

I keep mentioning how poor anecdote is as evidence, so let me finish with one of my own. Lurcher Girl explained how she uses nosodes for KC and implies that this is therefore an effective treatment. Dylan was with us for nearly 15 years. He was never vaccinated against KC and never caught the disease. (He was not boarded at kennels). I did not give him nosodes but gave him water to drink every day without fail Does this prove that water is effective against KC? And if not why does Lurcher Girl's story give any confidence that nosodes should be used?
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
Came home on Friday night to Silkie coughing and thought must be Kennel Cough.
Well went on over weekend but by late afternoon on Sunday she seemed clear.
Got up this morning and now Dolly coughing.
Doesn't seem to bad a strain of the virus compared to infections I've seen in previous dogs but enough to make the discomfort pretty obvious.

David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline john51

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »
@mcinnd

Hope the dogs are well on the way to recovery and it wasn't too bad for them.

@Site Administrator

As there has been no further information about the use of nosodes in this thread, can I respectfully suggest that the comment about use of nosodes in the health section (http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/health.html) be removed or changed to say that homeopathic vaccines have not been shown to provide effective protection and are not recommended.

The words used, Some owners prefer to give homeopathic vaccines to their dogs, seem to indicate that this is a perfectly valid choice to to make and can be substituted for medically tested vaccines. As I posted earlier the Veterinary Medicines Directorate specifically warns against the use of nosodes.

“Nosodes and sarcodes have the potential to contain virulent pathogenic organisms from their source material which may pose a serious disease risk to the pet concerned, or even to human health. Homeopathic remedies have not been assessed to see if they provide any protection to the animal. Without evidence of effectiveness, homeopathic nosodes and sarcodes may pose greater risk to pets by leaving them susceptible to disease.”

Even the the British Association of Homeopathic Vets says that "conventional" vaccines should be used wherever possible. (http://www.bahvs.com/information/nosodes/)

Where there is no medical contraindication, immunisation should be carried out in the normal way using the conventional tested and approved vaccines.

In view of these, and many other sensible statements about vaccinations, I believe it is inappropriate for Cockers Online to be making any suggestion that might encourage people to use nosodes in place of medical vaccinations.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »
Sorry John but we will not be removing anything from the Health page. The quote you object to is a statement of fact:

Some owners prefer to give homoeopathic vaccines to their dogs or alternatively run titre tests to check their dog's immunity levels before boostering conventionally.

It is indeed the case that some owners prefer to give homoeopathic vaccines whether you agree with this practice or not.  There is no recommendation or encouragement that owners should use homoeopathic vaccines just a mention in passing that some owners do use them - if interested, members can then do their own research on the subject. It is up to each individual to decide what is best for their own dogs (as they will do on every other aspect of caring for their dog from feeding to training etc) You clearly have strong opinions on certain matters but other members are also entitled to their own views and we do not intend telling members what they should think or do - they can make up our own minds.

Please address any further comments in a similar vein directly to me or one of the Moderators - it doesn't seem fair to hijack someone else's thread to complain about COL in the way you have above.

Jane