Author Topic: Pet insurance  (Read 1294 times)

Offline CrunchyMand

Pet insurance
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »
It is an absolute minefield!!!!

There are so many different policies and I really don't understand the excesses or the per condition prices. If it says 2,500 per condition is that for the life of the dog, so diabetes would only be covered to that excess? Some plans are really expensive, others seem cheap. I want to get the right plan, but I don't know how healthy my dog is going to be or what treatment he will need in his life, so how can I forward plan this with insurance? What is the average price to pay for a Cocker? Are vaccinations covered?

Any insurance companies recommended?
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
Re: Pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »
I am sure vaccinations are not covered .What you have to be carefull of is that once you have chosen your insurance they may increase your premium tempting you to change .I did that when More Than increased my premium by about £50.I then moved to Sainsburys but found out that Bonnie wasn't covered for the first 16 days i was almost paranoid worrying that something might happen to her during that period. Having said that i think that Sainsburys cover is very good and quite reasonable although i haven't put a claim in yet
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Pet insurance
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
There have been lots of threads in the past on Insurance, and you are right, it is a minefield!

Generally, policies don't cover routine treatment - vaccinations, neutering and the like - and there are various types of cover; those that cover a pet for each condition for a set length of time (often a year), those that cover each condition for a set value, and those which offer "cover for life" for each condition with no maximum limit set.  Some policies cover extras like alternative therapies or behaviourists - the cost of the premium usually reflects what you get, and they vary hugely - you can pay as little as £10 a month, or as much £40  ph34r

If your pup/dog has seen a vet before you take out a particular insurance, you must declare this when you insure them - policies often contain exclusions - conditions that the insurance company won't cover because they have been treated already  :-\

Premiums do go up year on year; usually reflecting the increased costs of veterinary care that they are used to cover and also as a dog ages, it is more likely to need treatment - but the costs don't generally go up if you make a claim  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club