Author Topic: Anal gland problems  (Read 1578 times)

Offline sodpot2000

Anal gland problems
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Shortly after we got Buster in 2014 he had anal gland problems which needed surgery to fix. With a good diet and plenty of exercise the problem did not seem to reoccur and we thought it was in the past. Unfortunately, this week he has had a burst ulcer on his anal gland again.

I know others have had these problems. It looks as though he is going to have to have regular visits to the vet to empty/check the gland so that it doesn't flare up again. How often do people tend to visit the vets for this?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Anal gland problems
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
We ended up with the same issues and had to go back to the vets almost every month.  Her glands were shriveled and it was like gritty paste that came out and very painful for her.

She had them removed last January.  Glad I made the decision.  Out of interest what surgery did she have?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
just want to say that Gemma had hers removed after hers burst and would not heal. the option was that or regular visits to the vets for ever. I am glad we took the removal option. They can no longer cause her grief and pain. She , herself does not miss them and has no ill effects due to them being removed. It is worth considering. She was 5 years old at the time
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
Thanks all for the advice.

Patp - the surgery in 2014 was to clean out the gland and repair the burst abscess. All of which seemed to work up until now.

I had read somewhere that there was a risk with removal of this leading to incontinence. I don't know how big a risk and clearly not one that materialised for either of you (thank goodness!)

Incidentally, I cannot speak highly enough of Udder Cream
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battles-udder-cream-400g/dp/B00CUBSO6O/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp
for taking down soreness and inflammation.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »
Surgical technology has moved on - the issues with incontinence are still a risk but considerably less so than it was even 5 years ago!

Pearl had her glands removed 4 years ago after having problems for 18 months or so.  It really was the best decision for her.  I put a note on here about the whole experience.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=108670.0

She’s still on a raw diet and is very much better now than she has ever been.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
What difference do you all think diet makes? Does raw make a difference?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
What difference do you all think diet makes? Does raw make a difference?

I read on an American website recently, that one of the causes of anal gland problems was due to build of toxins in the food and they claimed that a raw diet was therefore better as there were no additives. I‘ve no idea how much truth there is in that however.....
Humphrey‘s fed a raw diet [DIY], he hasn‘t had any real anal gland problems so far although he does do an occasional bum-scoot, so I‘m thinking we might have problems ar some time or other.
My two previous dogs, although not cockers, were fed dried/wet and never had any problems. I think that probably the majority of cases are genetic and cockers are most definately pre-disposed. A good quality food  that produces good stools is, I would think, beneficial but whether it has to raw is debateable IMO.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 08:05:14 AM »
A P.S. to the above:
I‘ve just read a really interesting article on anal glands (as the devil would have it, Humphrey‘s been scooting this morning) It seems problems can also be caused by allergies, including intolerance to grains and certain meats - the list of meats containing possible allergens  includes all of the standard ones, chicken, beef, lamb, pork etc, so maybe that‘s also something to look for......
The article is unfortunately in German so I haven‘t posted the link but if anyone‘s interested, I can.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »
Would be grateful for the link - if only to see if my long ago rusted German can crack the puzzle!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
Would be grateful for the link - if only to see if my long ago rusted German can crack the puzzle!

http://www.erste-hilfe-beim-hund.de/cgi-php/rel00a.prod/joomla/Joomla_1.6/index.php/analbeutel-ausdruecken

At the very end of the page there‘s a video in English from an American vet explaining how the glands are emptied.  ;)

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
My dog Marley had this problem until the a few months ago. I changed the brand of food I was giving him. He was getting grain free working dog food which was high in protein. I changed to csj dog food which is wheat and gluten free and has slightly less protein the protein is salmon based. he hasn't scooted on the ground for some time now. His poo is much firmer than it was before. Maybe this is worth a try.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
http://www.erste-hilfe-beim-hund.de/cgi-php/rel00a.prod/joomla/Joomla_1.6/index.php/analbeutel-ausdruecken

At the very end of the page there‘s a video in English from an American vet explaining how the glands are emptied.  ;)

Thank you for that. Pleased to find that I can still get the sense of most of it, although I will need a session with the dictionary to get the rest.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »

Thank you for that. Pleased to find that I can still get the sense of most of it, although I will need a session with the dictionary to get the rest.

Give me a shout if I can be of any help!  ;)

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
Bizzylizzy  I used to feed Marley pork,beef, lamb and sometimes duck flavoured dog food he now gets salmon flavour and the problem seems to have almost completely gone.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
Bizzylizzy  I used to feed Marley pork,beef, lamb and sometimes duck flavoured dog food he now gets salmon flavour and the problem seems to have almost completely gone.

Thanks Gazrob. Humphrey does get a pretty wide variety of food, but I‘ve started to keep a diary now  to see if I can pinpoint a cause.