Author Topic: Anal gland problems  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Gazrob

Re: Anal gland problems
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 05:36:32 PM »
I don't know Humphreys circumstances but he might not be able to cope with such a wide variety of food. Marley gets the same dog food every day it's not raw it's dry food. but I do give him sardines or mackerel, chicken sometimes once a week and sometimes a bit of beef as a treat. I know that Marley wouldn't be able to cope with a very varied diet.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Anal gland problems
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Bizzylizzy  I used to feed Marley pork,beef, lamb and sometimes duck flavoured dog food he now gets salmon flavour and the problem seems to have almost completely gone.

Archie had consistent issues with apparent allergies that caused him to chew large sore spots on his feet, tail and bottom (not at the same time though!). At one point my vet thought it was all due to anal glands. She emptied them for the first time ever and within a few weeks he had an anal gland infection to add to his woes. She felt that proved they were the problem. I wasn’t so sure. Eventually, after much toing and froing she did an allergy blood test which flagged up loads of things. She put him on an exclusion diet of ONLY salmon and potato. It has done the trick. He still suffers some seasonal issues with certain grasses but no more constant itching and he’s never had another issue with his glands. They don’t even need emptying now.