Author Topic: Any advice grateful... Scruffers has just been diagnosed with epilepsy recently  (Read 1482 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
I don‘t live in UK, so might be completely off the mark here, and please forgive me if I am, but 5K for an MRI????. I had to have one myself last year and,coincidently, received the bill last week for €480. 
I appreciate that for pets it would be more but that is a BIG difference!! Might  it be worth checking out if that is the normal price? Maybe someone here would be able to comment?..

It is a lot - I've had an MRI scan covered by medical insurance and so saw the costs and it was much (much) less. However, our Murphy lost his bark and had an MRI scan just before Christmas - with the consultation and some other tests this cost £4,500 for a couple of hours. Murphy did have to be sedated so that he would lie still - not something you do with a person - and that would have added to the cost.  Of course, there was no waiting period for Murph's exam and having all that equipment sitting around ready for a sick pet also adds to the cost when compared to human medical facilities.  Thankfully, we have very good insurance. It has been said that the growing number of heavily insured pets is actually driving up vet's bills.

I think you're right there and I suppose at the end of the day we all just want the best for our pets, so don't have much alternative, but it doesn't hurt to raise a few questions sometimes.... ;)
Hope Murphy's got his bark back now?  :lol2: