Author Topic: Supplements for joints  (Read 999 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Supplements for joints
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »
Just wondered if any of you have any experience of these Glucosamine tablets which I‘ve seen on Amazon? Humphrey‘s best mate and occasional house guest (labrador) is starting to suffer with hip/joint problems and we‘ve just been looking at possible  supplements but its a bit of a minefield.... :huh:
. Has anyone any other tips or suggestions that might help please? Many thanks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supplement-Glucosamine-Chondroitin-Hyaluronic-Manufactured/dp/B0131LZTS2/ref=lp_8311921031_1_1?srs=8311921031&ie=UTF8&qid=1518629098&sr=8-1

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Supplements for joints
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:26:04 PM »
I don't have experience with those, but I do have very good experience with Synoquin EFA. A friend of mine suggested it. Her dog had trouble with his back and these helped him a lot. I tried them on my girl and I am impressed with the results. She has arthrosis in a knee and has been on a joint diet and getting cartrophen injections every 6 months. But it's been over a year since her last round of injections and she is still doing good on just synoquin.. I had to buy it abroad in the beginning because it was not sold in Norway yet. I mentioned them to my vet here, and after doing some research she decided to start selling it and recommending it at her clinic so I feel very safe using it. Don't know if it's any better than what you were looking at. But I do know this stuff works. Same type of thing though, glukosamin and chondroitin goodness. Could probably compare the ingredients and amount og ingredients to see if they are as good :) I buy the tablets for large dogs and divide them because it's cheaper than buying the appropriate size. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synoquin-5031812522195-Tasty-Large-Breed/dp/B00AGAIJ3E/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1518631982&sr=1-1&keywords=synoquin+efa

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
Thankyou Mari! Have just had a look at the link, Synoquin certainly looks very good, the reviews are excellent, - it also appears to be available here in Germany too 👍
Thanks for your help!  :D

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:13 PM »
http://www.lintbells.com/dog-health/joints-and-mobility
I know a number of people who use these for their dogs and have seen an improvement.  I am not sure about availability in Germany, although I do know they can be bought via Amazon in the UK.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »
http://www.lintbells.com/dog-health/joints-and-mobility
I know a number of people who use these for their dogs and have seen an improvement.  I am not sure about availability in Germany, although I do know they can be bought via Amazon in the UK.

Just looked, they appear to be available here as well, - super! Many thanks  :D

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
https://www.chemeyes.co.uk/product/joint-able-100-tablets/

These are from a very reputable company I know.    Same ingredients as the first post.  They may work out cheaper as they've got an offer on.  They ship worldwide.
Could do with them myself!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
Hi bizzylizzy. I put a bit of salmon oil in marleys food every day. It's supposed to be good for his heart, brain, joints and his coat. I was using glucosamine tablets but he doesn't like them. And it works out cheaper. One bottle of salmon oil last for months.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Hi bizzylizzy. I put a bit of salmon oil in marleys food every day. It's supposed to be good for his heart, brain, joints and his coat. I was using glucosamine tablets but he doesn't like them. And it works out cheaper. One bottle of salmon oil last for months.
https://www.chemeyes.co.uk/product/joint-able-100-tablets/

These are from a very reputable company I know.    Same ingredients as the first post.  They may work out cheaper as they've got an offer on.  They ship worldwide.
Could do with them myself!

:lol2: You and me both!! 
Thanks for the tip, those could well work out cheaper, its good that they declare the amounts on the website too, that makes things easier! 👍

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »

Thanks Gazrob, yes Humphrey has oil everyday aswell and has from day 1 so I have suggested my friend tries that too for her labrador. I do think it makes a difference. 👍

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:40 PM »
That's great bizzylizzy. When Marley was a few months old he would sometimes go lame. Vet said he has got a luxating patella but since I've changed his food to salmon flavour and added salmon oil to his food he hasn't gone lame for nearly a year now. I'm not sure if it's because of the oil but I will ask the vet next time he goes for his yearly check up.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
I have certainly come across glucosamine being used for dogs with joint problems with some success. Interested to hear about the other remedies. Although out current two are still quite young, it is always good to have extra tools in the tool box.

Gazrob - when we got Buster the vet was concerned about his patellae, although they did not cause any issues at that time. I gradually built up his exercise and so developed the muscles in his back legs. Touching all available wood- we have had no issues as the increased muscle holds the patellae better. Salmon oil aside, you may have done something similar? Either way keep up the exercise with Marley and hopefully you won't have problems.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »
Hi sodpot sorry for the late post. Yes you could be right. I got marley when he was seven months old. He would go lame maybe once a week only for a few seconds at a time once it was for a few hours. Since he turned about a year old he hasn't gone Lame since. His back legs may have got stronger. Hopefully it won't happen again. He does run around at 100 miles an hour you would never know he had a problem. The salmon oil may have contributed but even if it hasn't he enjoys his food a lot more and now never leaves any food like he would do before I got the oil.