Author Topic: Lepto  (Read 1454 times)

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
Lepto
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:34:35 AM »
Dear all

I took advice and agreed with the advice that vaccination is not required  annually for older dogs.  Tonight how I regret that decision. My best friend was pts after 48 hours of suffering caused by suspected Leptospirosis.  PLEASE protect your loves xxx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Lepto
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »
Dear all

I took advice and agreed with the advice that vaccination is not required  annually for older dogs.  Tonight how I regret that decision. My best friend was pts after 48 hours of suffering caused by suspected Leptospirosis.  PLEASE protect your loves xxx

So very sorry to read this.  I have a dog that we believe has had lepto2 years ago, she was very unwell for around 3 weeks and now has ongoing health issues.  She’s was vaccinated in December but reacted to it - I have that decision to take later this year and had decided not to vaccinate again.  Your post has made me re think this.

May I ask which area you are in?

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »
So sorry to read this. We lost a Westie to this many years ago.Awful.  My vet said that even if you drop other vaccines, lepto needs to be kept going. rats everywhere.
Don't beat yourself up. Whenever you lose a doggy friend, you try to blame yourself for missing something. It doesn't help. Thank you for being brave enough to post this for the sake of other people and pets.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
I'm so sorry to read about Charlie, but I too made the decision last year not to give the Lepto booster, based on the bad press and significant anecdotal evidence of dogs suffering death and illness particularly in relation to Lepto 4. It is a difficult decision to make, damned if you do, damned if you don't, and I'm still not easy about it.

William who is six had the Lepto 2 booster (my Vet won't use Lepto 4) up to 2016 and was tested for exposure to nine strains of Lepto in 2017 which came back as negative.

Has it been confirmed that Charlie had Lepto, I note you say 'suspected'. I too would be interested in your location, is it a Lepto 'hotspot'.

M.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
I'm so sorry to read about Charlie, but I too made the decision last year not to give the Lepto booster, based on the bad press and significant anecdotal evidence of dogs suffering death and illness particularly in relation to Lepto 4. It is a difficult decision to make, damned if you do, damned if you don't, and I'm still not easy about it.

William who is six had the Lepto 2 booster (my Vet won't use Lepto 4) up to 2016 and was tested for exposure to nine strains of Lepto in 2017 which came back as negative.

Has it been confirmed that Charlie had Lepto, I note you say 'suspected'. I too would be interested in your location, is it a Lepto 'hotspot'.

M.

Pearls titre test came back as 236 exposure which makes me think it was Lepto (not sure which strain).  The insurance company have stated they will cover her for all illnesses including kidney function but not Lepto if she contracts a further strain  :shades:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:14:31 PM »
So sorry about Charlie. My dog’s are on the 3yeay vaccination programme for everything except Lepto, which is done annually. My vet uses L2, not L4. I decided to stick with annual L2, as it has been shown not to last. And because 2 of my dog’s work on shoots, so are very likely to be in contact with contaminated water. While it doesn’t cover all strains, I’m not willing to take an extra risk through stopping this annual vaccination.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
The vet said suspected but the test came back negative. They believe it's sudden kidney failure now.

In the Wells area of Somerset.

Thanks for your kind words x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »
The vet said suspected but the test came back negative. They believe it's sudden kidney failure now.

In the Wells area of Somerset.

Thanks for your kind words x

Very sorry you lost your boy so suddenly. 

Wells is beautiful - what a lovely area to live in x

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
Thank you for responding, at least it's removed a factor to beat yourself up about.

I understand the sense of loss you are feeling having gone thro' the loss of four much loved spaniels over the years. Hoping your pain will ease so you can remember and smile at the good times you both enjoyed together.

Regards,

M.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
What a terrible shock to lose Charlie so quickly, i am very sorry. Thank you for updating your post with the new vet information. Please be kind to yourself.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
So sorry to read you have lost your best friend so suddenly, as others have said be kind to yourself, it must have been one hell of a shock.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »
So sorry for the loss of your lovely boy  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »
I am so dreadfully sorry to read about the loss of your precious boy.
Thinking of you
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »
So very sorry to read about Charlie  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Thinking of you

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »
Whatever the cause, it's a terrible shock.  My vets, seeing a different partner each time I went, with what I realise now were kidney related symptoms, didn't correlate the notes, resulting in a rapid downhill for Bobby cocker.  I beat myself up  too. At least your little fellow didn't suffer long.  He is irreplaceable in himself,  but that hole in your life will want filling again sometime.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.