Author Topic: Puncture wound  (Read 2156 times)

Offline ips

Puncture wound
« on: April 04, 2018, 01:10:51 PM »
Eze had a minor run in with a friend's cocker and sustained a puncture wound in the inside of her back leg high up in the groin. It isnt bothering her . Vet has cleaned it and given antibiotic injection and a course of antibiotics. We are instructed to keep an eye on it and gently squeezing any puss out of it until it heals. Also to keep it reasonably dry and her out of mud. This is easier said than done as our garden and field are so very wet and muddy, i am thinking maybe a dog coat with legs to protect it ...but would that rub and irritate ?
Open to suggestions ~
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Puncture wound
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »
Poor Eze, its an awkward place to keep clean I should think but I also think a coat would probably not be very effective, it could rub and cause mats and might actually slow down the healing process, it‘d probably better to let the air get to it so that it can dry out. I‘d be more inclined to do your best to keep her out of the dirt for a couple of days ( :lol2: I hear you laugh!!) but these sort of things usually dry and heal up fairly quickly so it wouldn‘t be for too long and it would probably be the better option if you‘re worried about further infection. Sorry, can‘t think of anything more useful! Hope she‘s feeling better soon.  :bigarmhug: from me and tail wags from Humph‘

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
Any chance of rubbing a bit of Vaseline over the wound when you’re out and cleaning it off when you get home?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Hi LG
Never thought of that 👍
Vet gave no instructions to put anything on it but neither did she say not too !!

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Thank you BL
Yes its an awkward spot.
It happened last Wednesday but i didnt notice the wound until Friday i did not realise the dog had connected. We left it a few days but it didnt seem to be closing so went to vet on tuesday. Vet gave it a squeeze and some blood and puss came out, i was holding eze on the table and at that point vet looked over my shoulder at mrs ips and said "are you ok" mrs ips was now feeling faint as she doesnt like blood or needles 😁 daft thing is she has no problem despatching a bird or dressing one....go figure....i always knew she was a bit weird 😃

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »
Thank you BL
Yes its an awkward spot.
It happened last Wednesday but i didnt notice the wound until Friday i did not realise the dog had connected. We left it a few days but it didnt seem to be closing so went to vet on tuesday. Vet gave it a squeeze and some blood and puss came out, i was holding eze on the table and at that point vet looked over my shoulder at mrs ips and said "are you ok" mrs ips was now feeling faint as she doesnt like blood or needles 😁 daft thing is she has no problem despatching a bird or dressing one....go figure....i always knew she was a bit weird 😃

Oh its not just mrs ips! My OH was a fireman  for over 40 years and saw and dealt with some horrific things during that time but ask him to to help me put my stud earrings in and he nearly passes out!!   :buttkick:

LG‘s idea sounds good by the way!  ;)J

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »
Ha,
Funny isnt it, maybe she isnt ,,"that" weird after all......but she is 😉
Omg (as the kids would say) lynn is now making rear leg covers cunningly fashioned from a pair of tights.....luckily her tights not mine...phew 😁

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
No advice, just hope it starts to heal now. Glad MrsIPS has left your tights untouched, still a bit chilly out,  :shades:

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
No advice, just hope it starts to heal now. Glad MrsIPS has left your tights untouched, still a bit chilly out,  :shades:

Thank you 👍

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
Poor Eze, I was going to suggest sudocrem i tend to use that for bites, scratches, cuts etc  for both OH and Harry 😀 Its water resistant and I like the smell  ph34r

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »
Poor Eze, I was going to suggest sudocrem i tend to use that for bites, scratches, cuts etc  for both OH and Harry 😀 Its water resistant and I like the smell  ph34r

Thank you 👍

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
Sudocreme is a good option - but look at Conotrane cream it is another barrier cream and my only other suggestion is some type of babygrow - have seen it mentioned on here in past -but goodness know what Eze would make of it.

Hope all is well soon - just keep giving lots of tlc
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
Sudocreme is a good option - but look at Conotrane cream it is another barrier cream and my only other suggestion is some type of babygrow - have seen it mentioned on here in past -but goodness know what Eze would make of it.

Hope all is well soon - just keep giving lots of tlc

Lynn mentioned something about a childs pyjama pants.... Me thinks neither eze or myself are going to be impressed with what she comes home with 😄

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
Dont use any wet solutions - speak to the Gamekeeper for some silver spay - wash down after walks and reapply

Hope she recovers quickly

J xx

Offline ips

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
Dont use any wet solutions - speak to the Gamekeeper for some silver spay - wash down after walks and reapply

Hope she recovers quickly

J xx

Thanks jayne 👍