Author Topic: Puncture wound  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Puncture wound
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 07:36:49 PM »
When Jayne mentioned no wet solutions it brought to mind my late Nan in law, her corgi went to the family farm and was badly biiten by another dog, we ended up nursing her and having the corgi live with us.

First the vet cleaned the wound - but as the Sally was in shock couldn't do much more as she was quite an old lady.
Anyway the main wound was at the back of the front leg where it bends like the inside of our elbow, there was little or no skin to stitch and I had to clean it with a liquid and buy a non adherent dressing (vet suggested a pharmacy would advise) but as I worked in health centre the nurse suggested how best to do it and what to buy, Sally was affectionately known as Sally bucket due to the plastic collar she had to wear for a few weeks, anyway the vet was really amazed at how well it knitted back together, but the main need was to keep it clean and dry and have her not lick it.

Sally was quite a character and was rather like a mini bulldozer on four legs, I think she rather enjoyed her Sally Bucket days as she got away with ramming into everything.

Do hope Mrs Ips doesn't resort to the pj bottoms :005: still needs must
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ips

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »
When Jayne mentioned no wet solutions it brought to mind my late Nan in law, her corgi went to the family farm and was badly biiten by another dog, we ended up nursing her and having the corgi live with us.

First the vet cleaned the wound - but as the Sally was in shock couldn't do much more as she was quite an old lady.
Anyway the main wound was at the back of the front leg where it bends like the inside of our elbow, there was little or no skin to stitch and I had to clean it with a liquid and buy a non adherent dressing (vet suggested a pharmacy would advise) but as I worked in health centre the nurse suggested how best to do it and what to buy, Sally was affectionately known as Sally bucket due to the plastic collar she had to wear for a few weeks, anyway the vet was really amazed at how well it knitted back together, but the main need was to keep it clean and dry and have her not lick it.

Sally was quite a character and was rather like a mini bulldozer on four legs, I think she rather enjoyed her Sally Bucket days as she got away with ramming into everything.

Do hope Mrs Ips doesn't resort to the pj bottoms :005: still needs must

Ha, thankfully no pyjamas. Keeping her clean is a problem but it seems to be heeling slowly and doesnt seem to be bothering her.
Thank you for everyones kind words 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 10:33:06 PM »
Sorry my note was so brief - at work and on a mobile!

Hope Eze is doing well and healing ok?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »
Tanner my foster ended up with a deep puncture wound after he spiked himself with a stick in similar area as your dog.

I was told to clean it with iodine and gave him antibiotics so on walks he didn't have anything covering it. It healed really well. To be honest if you put something on it that isn't liquid then infection can can occur deeper down and can't heal all of it. Simple iodine mixed with water is best thing (better than hibiscrub even for this type of thing)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ips

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
Thanks pearly

Thanks penny

Offline ips

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »
All heeled up now 👍

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
All heeled up now 👍

Really pleased to read this  :D

Offline ips

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
Thanks pearly, dont know if she needed the antibiotics but better to be safe i spose, anyway its all heeled and you can hardly see it now.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Good to know that normal service has been resumed! Antibiotics might not have been needed, but won't have done any harm.