Author Topic: Bee sting  (Read 1145 times)

Offline bmthmark

Bee sting
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
I had a nightmare yesterday, Jett was playing outside in the garden in the morning.
I noticed he was spending more time messing about in the flower bed and digging, I just thought he was just being naughty and told him to come in.

I didn't think anything of it and carried on as normal and went to work. My son then texted me to say his face is swelling up. So I rushed home, his face was so big he was struggling to keep his eyes open  :'( he was also rolling over lots and pawing his face.

I rang the vet and they told me to rush him in as they didn't want his airway to be blocked.
He was sick loads on route and it was very worrying.

The vet checked him over and gave him an anti inflammatory injection and sent us home. He slept for a few hours and the swelling went down. He then woke up and was clearly struggling, his eyes then began to swell up. So I rang the emergency vet and was told to give him half a antihistamine tablet. This fixed his eyes and also knocked him out for the night.

This morning he woke up like nothing happened  :005: back to his naughty ways. I don't think he realises how much stress he caused me. But at least he is back to normal again.

I reckon he got stung in the mouth as he wasn't very vocal yesterday and I checked him everywhere but couldn't see anything.

Just thought I'd share this with you as there are a lot of bee's in flowerbeds or on the floor at the moment. I was shocked to see how a sting could affect a dog and I didn't know he can take human antihistamine tablets.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Bee sting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
Poor Jett, I’m glad he’s OK today. It’s a tmely warning as it’s quite common for this to happen I think. We’ve been lucky so far, despite having hives just down the road, but I always keep antihistamine tablets ready just in case. I’m quite surprised the vet didn’t suggest you give one straight away. Worth remembering that adders will also be stunning themselves in the hotter weather too.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
Poor Jett, I’m glad he’s OK today. It’s a tmely warning as it’s quite common for this to happen I think. We’ve been lucky so far, despite having hives just down the road, but I always keep antihistamine tablets ready just in case. I’m quite surprised the vet didn’t suggest you give one straight away. Worth remembering that adders will also be stunning themselves in the hotter weather too.

Thank you, it was a shock to see him with his face so big. To be fair to the vet they did ask me to rush him in so they can check him.
What antihistamine tablets do you use?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
Poor Jett, - poor you!
Humphrey had a similar experience last year when he stuck his nose into a wild bees nest. His nose swelled up but he didn‘t have such a bad reaction as Jett, thank goodness, it must have been frightening!
Hope he‘s ok now - Humphrey now avoids anything that „buzzes“!!  ;)

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
Antihistamine ....always have some with you,Piriton recommended by out vet, not just for bees stings but also Adder bites.....half a tablet, carry your dog if possible to reduce spread of venom and get to vet asap.The vet gives antihistamine first any way as there can be reaction to anti venom

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
Poor Jett, - poor you!
Humphrey had a similar experience last year when he stuck his nose into a wild bees nest. His nose swelled up but he didn‘t have such a bad reaction as Jett, thank goodness, it must have been frightening!
Hope he‘s ok now - Humphrey now avoids anything that „buzzes“!!  ;)

Thanks he seems fine now just very tired. I was amazed how quickly his face swelled up. It was a shock and very frightening as I wasn't 100% sure what had happened as I never actually saw the bee. I did think at one point it could of been a snake bite and having black fur its really tricky to see any skin abrasions (plus he wiggles around when trying to examine him)

I now have extra antihistamine tablets ready. I'm hoping he has learnt his lesson

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
Antihistamine ....always have some with you,Piriton recommended by out vet, not just for bees stings but also Adder bites.....half a tablet, carry your dog if possible to reduce spread of venom and get to vet asap.The vet gives antihistamine first any way as there can be reaction to anti venom

Yes Piriton is what the vet suggested. They too said half a tablet would be fine

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »
Oh blimey poor jett!!!! That must have been so worrying for you. Leo always chases bees and i get so scared!! Glad to hear he is on the mend now

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:34:50 PM »
That is scary, glad it was quickly sorted, hope Jett is ok now.  :luv:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
Thanks Leo0106 and ejp.

Yes he is back to normal now, it was a very worrying day. But its amazing how quickly they do recover.