Fleas
« on: September 13, 2002, 10:24:25 PM »
How common is it for young pups to have fleas ????  :-

(9 weeks)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fleas
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 10:59:53 PM »
Not common at all if the pup comes from a good breeder :) If you suspect your pup has fleas, then pop to your vets & buy some Frontline spray which is safe to use on young pups. You may need to treat your cat as well (indeed the cat could be the source of any fleas :))                    
Jane

Offline trengoff

• Site Member
    • http://www.baileysworld.tk
Fleas
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 10:21:22 AM »
We've been usin some 'BOB MARTIN PESTROY POWDER' on him. We are going to the vets on wednes day for his first set of injections!!! So we will probobly pick sumthin up then  Are we correct in doing this???? how dangerous are fleas????                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fleas
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 10:57:38 AM »
Have you checked the Bob Martin powder is safe to use on young puppies? If it is, I don't imagine it will be any where near as effective as the modern preparations like Frontline - these have the advantage that you only need to spray the dog every few months (ie long lasting protection) If your puppy does have fleas, then eggs will have been laid in your house, on carpets etc so you need also to buy a spray to treat the house eg Acclaim (again available from your vet) If you don't treat your carpets etc, the eggs will hatch out & the whole cycle will begin again.

Fleas aren't dangerous as such but they can cause dogs/cats intense irritation, resulting in frequent scratching which can lead to skin infections. Some dogs are also allergic to flea saliva which can result in severe skin problems. Fleas are also hosts for the tapeworm, another reason to make sure your puppy is treated for fleas & also wormed correctly (your vet will supply you with effective wormers)                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 11:29:57 AM »
Hi Trengoff, I agree with Jane in that the flea preperations from pet shops/supermarkets are not as effective as the ones available from the vets. Quite a lot of people phone up saying their pet has fleas and yet they have been treated with pet shop treatments. Whilst they may kill off some of the fleas, they won't kill them all and the problem remains. they then have to come in for Frontline in the end and they are well out of pocket. And don't even contemplate flea collars!!!!!! Again as Jane said, whenever a flea is seen(or even suspected) it is recommended to treat the enviroment. Pay particular attention to everywhere your pup and cat have access, wash their bedding etc. Also, most people don't think about treating the car if the pets have access to it - I think it's always best to be very thprough or there will be an infestation of the little blighters before you know it ;D Off to have a good scratch now ;D ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 05:06:35 PM »
Hi Trengoff, I agree with Jane in that the flea preperations from pet shops/supermarkets are not as effective as the ones available from the vets.

the same is true of worms too, in my experience. If you rely on pet store products for either fleas or worms, you'll never get rid of either. It's so worth having this treated by the vet  - it might be more expensive option in the short term, but you save so much time and trouble in the long run.

I think you said your pup has been out in the back garden this week, so that's where they came from. This is the time of year when they are rampant. You can always tell if they have come into the house as you'll find a nice ring of itchy red blotches (bites) around your ankle. Don't know what it is about human ankles, everywhere else seems safe  ;)                    

Offline trengoff

• Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2002, 06:14:21 PM »
We're not actually sure if it is fleas, because when we got the pup it had been treated with frontline, this was a bit strong so it went a dandruffy so it could be that. I think we will just wait till we go to the vets to see what he says!!!                    

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
Fleas
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2002, 06:28:15 PM »
Hi Trengoff.

Fleas are a black/brown colour and are quite visible if you have a good inspection of your pups coat, a give away of their presence is a very fine black 'dust' which is their droppings (sorry to put you off your dinner folks!)                    

Offline trengoff

• Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2002, 06:28:17 PM »
OMG it says not to be used on pups under 12 weeks!!! IM A BAD OWNER SOMEBODY SHOOT ME!!!

:( :( :( :(:( :( :( :(:( :( :( :(:( :( :( :(:( :( :( :(:( :( :( :(:( :( :( :(:(                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fleas
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2002, 07:44:29 PM »
Sorry, I've edited your post as all those emoticons were making the page horribly slow to load!

Back to the flea problem, if your pup had already been Frontlined, then you really shouldn't have used any other insecticidal on him - not a good idea at all! Best to get your vet to check him out before you do anything else.                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2002, 08:33:37 PM »
Trengoff, hope the pup sends you to bed without supper tonight ;D                    

Offline trengoff

• Site Member
Fleas
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2002, 08:49:51 PM »
Does this mean I am a bad owner!!!! OMG it does please don't be mad  :-X, SORRY everyone. Im really scared he's not gonna be O.K                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2002, 08:53:22 PM »
Trengoff, puppy will be just fine :) But you still have to go to bed with no supper ;D                    

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Fleas
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2002, 11:05:12 PM »
Any News on this puppy and the suspected flea problem?

Has anyone ever used frontline spray on pregnant bitches?                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fleas
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2002, 11:16:07 PM »
Yes I have treated a pregnant bitch (after a close encounter with a hedghog :)) with Frontline spray with no problems, though I did use it quite sparingly. The spray is licensed for use in pregnant cats & dogs & also for nursing bitches apparently.                    
Jane