Author Topic: Spaying prior or post season?  (Read 3377 times)

Anonymous

Spaying prior or post season?
« on: October 05, 2003, 04:36:14 PM »
Hi all!!

I am interested to hear your views on spaying either before or after season.  I have always waited until after the first season with past dogs, except the German Shephers who I adopted who was about 5 when we got her and had not been spayed until we got her.  I just don't know what to do forhe best really, I don't want to risk Indies personality or her having problmes with incontinence in later life, but I am eager to get her spayed.

Any thoughts on this topic would be great to do whats best for my little princess ;D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 11:39:28 PM »
Hi Emma

There have been lots of past threads on spaying, when to do it etc - here's just one http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=16

My views haven't changed on this but it's your decision entirely. I think the safest time for a bitch to be spayed is approximately 3-4 months after a season (as long as there are no signs of a phantom pregnancy) The problem with spaying before a first season is that you don't know when that season will be - its quite dangerous to spay just before a season from what I've read. No-one can tell you what to do -  there are plenty who support early spaying & neutering but there are plenty more who don't :-)                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 01:38:06 AM »
The impression I get is that vets opinions widely vary as well. Ruby was speyed 5 weeks after her 1st season by my vet who insisted she should have a season 1st (as did my dog trainer) but disregarded the 3-4 month after the season argument.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 10:07:58 AM »
The impression I get is that vets opinions widely vary as well. Ruby was speyed 5 weeks after her 1st season by my vet who insisted she should have a season 1st (as did my dog trainer) but disregarded the 3-4 month after the season argument.

Yes, its very strange as its well known that if you spay a bitch when she's having a phantom, then this causes the symptoms to increase in severity & last weeks longer - just ask Fiona ;) It seems odd that some vets ignore this & others won't spay until all risk of a phantom is gone (like Lynsey's vet) It makes it hard for owners as they don't know who to believe do they?                    
Jane

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 10:47:55 AM »
and thats why I was thankfull for everyones advice...especially Janes... cos Jessie is now fully well, all healed and perfect in every way...well except the snoring maybe  ;D                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 10:54:58 AM »
We  were  going to get Nell spayed  before  her  first  

season!!!  which  we  have  done  in the  past  with  other  bitches, and  luckily  have  had no  problems   with them.
Nell  came in season  at  six  months!!!, so  we  were  told  we
would  have  to  wait for  3  to  4  months, before he would  Spay  her. But  she  came  in season again 2  months  later  :o
So  again we  were told  we  would  have to  wait  Because  she  might  have  hormonal  problems  ::)  But  i,m  glad to  say  she  was fine. If  i  get  another  bitch  i  think  after  hearing  discussions on spaying,  i would wait till they  had  a  first  season. . edited  to  say,  thats  brilliant  news  Lynsey  ;D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 11:06:42 AM »
Yes, its very strange as its well known that if you spay a bitch when she's having a phantom, then this causes the symptoms to increase in severity & last weeks longer - just ask Fiona ;) It seems odd that some vets ignore this & others won't spay until all risk of a phantom is gone (like Lynsey's vet) It makes it hard for owners as they don't know who to believe do they?

Don't get me started on that Jane ;)

I'm still upset at my ex-vet over what happened to Poppy >:( At least she  hasn't suffered any long-term effects from it though.

After Poppy's spaying operation and subsequent false pregnancy I would strongly recommend waiting until you are confident that a bitch is mid-cycle (ie about 3 months after a season) before having her spayed.                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 11:10:07 AM »
I agree with fiona...but would add jessie was 3months after cycle but was in a phantom stage...so best make the vet SURE she is ok before proceeding  ;)