Author Topic: Abscess on the foot...AGAIN!  (Read 2155 times)

Offline viv

• Site Member
Abscess on the foot...AGAIN!
« on: October 11, 2003, 08:48:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

William started limping last Sunday...had a look a...and yet again he has an abscess on his foot.
This is the third time :'(.  Went to the vets and on tablets again, hoping that he doesn't have to go in again and have a  sleep while they clean it out (as he has had to on the other occasions).    I must say William is as good as gold when the vet or i bathe it, it must be really painful cause i can feel him twitching as i put his paw in salt water.
Has anyone else had the same problem, William would like to swap notes ;)
Viv                    
Viv and William send love and wags

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 10:03:31 AM »
Hi Viv

Some Cockers are prone to interdigital cysts between their toes - are these what William gets? They can get quite big & release pus (lovely ;)) - if you have a look on Google, you'll find lots of info on them. A Cocker I groom gets them now & again - her owner finds bathing the area in diluted tea tree oil dries the cyst up quite quickly without any need for antibiotics. Just thought I'd mention it in case this is what William has on his foot :)                    
Jane

Offline viv

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 11:45:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply Jane

I think that's what he is getting... the last two were in between his toes, but the one he has now is behind his middle pad...never straight forward with this dog ;) and it does seem different from the last two.  They had pus :-X but this one doesn't, the other two 'blew' before i knew they were even there.  Can't say i want to keep on giving him antibiotics so will go out and get the tea tree oil and also get into the habit of checking his paws reqularly.
The vet did scare me by saying that if these things don't clear up they have to remove the gland thats infected...not William's idea of fun :'(
Viv                    
Viv and William send love and wags