Author Topic: Sprained Ankle  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Sprained Ankle
« on: October 14, 2003, 09:40:24 AM »
Phoebe started to limp the other day, and then it seemed to clear up. Yesterday it was back so took her to the vets.

She's sprained her ankle and has to have an anti inflammatory spray. Hubby took her so he didn't ask everything ::)

So - we have been told not to walk her very much over the next week and to keep her on the lead. Will she be alright if she has a trot around the garden (no football though). What happens if she's still limping after a week? She's putting weight on it and it doesn't seem to bother her really.

The vet had to really search until he found the sore bit.

Thanks Anita & Hoppity  ;) (sorry - Phoebe)                    
Anita

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 09:46:16 AM »
Poor Phoebe :( Don't worry though, minor sprains usually get better quite quickly & in a few days you may find all signs have disappeared. She should be fine to potter about in the garden as long as she doesn't jump & run about too energetically ;) If she is still limping in a week (unlikely), your vet may want to xray the leg just to check what's going on but I'd be v surprised if this was necessary.                    
Jane

Offline Anita

• Site Member
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 10:11:45 AM »
Thanks Jane                    
Anita

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 10:26:15 AM »
Hiya Anita,

Poor Pheobe  :( i hope she gets better soon  ;) If its any consolation when Buttons was 9 weeks old i was cleaning the kitchen floor and she was having a mad half hour i went to shut the kitchen door and she ran in at the same time...and banged her leg off the door....i've never heard such a blood curdling yelp in all my life  :o she wouldn't even walk on it....I phoned the vets at 1.30am  :-[ took her the next day and they couldn't find anything...anyway to cut a long story short  ;D i spent £60 + on x-rays etc and the very next day she was good as new  ;D ::)...typical  ;D
As Jane says keep her as calm as possible...not easy with a cocker i know...give Hoppity  ;) a big kiss from Butty  :-*

Gilly                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 10:51:47 AM »
Poor thing, a week without her football will seem like a month...........get well soon Hoppity! :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 11:04:02 AM »
when Buttons was 9 weeks old i was cleaning the kitchen floor and she was having a mad half hour i went to shut the kitchen door and she ran in at the same time...and banged her leg off the door....i've never heard such a blood curdling yelp in all my life  :o she wouldn't even walk on it....I phoned the vets at 1.30am  :-[ took her the next day and they couldn't find anything...anyway to cut a long story short  ;D i spent £60 + on x-rays etc and the very next day she was good as new  ;D ::)...typical  ;D

I remember this happenening Gilly ;D you were so worried and felt so guilty :( ;D

Do you remember Buddy's turn? He suddenly yelped in pain collapsed and couldn't move. I was so so worried. Within a couple of hours he was running around again. Never found what that was :-

I'm sure Phoebe will be fine Anita. Try and make her take it easy - yeah I know that's the easy bit ;D ;D ;D she'll be her normal self in no time.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 12:10:29 PM »
Aww  poor phoebe,  :( I,m sure she,ll be fine after a few days rest Anita. give that little girl a big  ((( hug ))) and kiss from me and Nell.  :-*                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 12:55:26 PM »
My springer has slightly sprained her leg on a couple of occasions - thats what she gets for bouncing off the walls  ::) - causing her to limp a little - but they've always healed naturally after a few days of rest too  :)                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 01:18:48 PM »
Do you remember Buddy's turn? He suddenly yelped in pain collapsed and couldn't move. I was so so worried. Within a couple of hours he was running around again. Never found what that was :-

That's interesting Pammy as the same thing happened to Jimmy when he was about 5 or 6 months old...... he was walking across the room then suddenly collapsed in a heap, yelping and howling in agony. As with Buddy he couldn't walk for a couple of hours but x-rays didn't reveal anything wrong . All of a sudden he started trotting about again as if nothing had ever happened and we never found out what it was all about either. ??? A couple of days later we were back at the vets after I accidentally slammed the car door on his paw :o.....yet again he was right as rain in no time. Hardy little chaps, Cockers. :)                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 02:12:54 PM »
I agree with you Colin - they are hardy little chaps and I am sure Pheobe will alright in next to no time - Nevertheless it doesn't stop us owners worrying  ???                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Anita

• Site Member
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 12:10:43 PM »
Thanks for all the reassurance. Its her work trying to keep her calm. But she does look a little better today.

I think a week of no walks will be the real test though! Her dads been giving her lots of cuddles and she allowed to sleep on the sofa yesterday ;)                    
Anita

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Sprained Ankle
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 05:47:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about Phoebe, hope shes running around soon, but if shes anthing like Archie she'll fake it just to stay on the sofa ;D                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang