Author Topic: Dew Claws  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Dew Claws
« on: November 04, 2003, 05:50:25 PM »
What does everybody think about dew claws?  Paddy is 6 months old, he's a full model with tail and dew claws  ;D  tail doesn't bother me, but I was a little concerned about the dew claws especially when my vet pointed them out to me saying they were quite large and should have been removed when he was first born.  She wants to charge me £198 to remove them  :o

Do they cause any problems if left, or would it be best for them to be removed?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Dew Claws
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 06:56:15 PM »
Hi Jenney, my youngest cocker still has his dew claws but the other two had theirs removed when they got their tails docked. Some breeders don't necessarily get the dew claws removed and I would think very unlikely if the tail isn't being docked - though I may be wrong there :- But my oldest and my youngest(he is also docked)came from the same breeder so don't know what happened there ;D
Anyway, they don't necessarily cause a problem - if they do persistently get broken and caught up in things, then it may be worth looking into getting them removed but this will require a general anaesthetic. If they aren't causing any problem, then I would just leave them(this is what I'm doing with Dallas) and just keep a close eye on them. They can curl right round and go into the dogs pad so may need trimmed once in a while.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline NinaW

• Site Member
    • http://home.online.no/~nwaldela/
Dew Claws
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 08:42:49 PM »
Hi

None of my Cockers, and there have been a few over the last 24 years ;D, have ever had their dew claws removed.  I have never had any trouble with them, and my dogs spend lots of time in the field/forest.  So I would not worry about them, and definitive not get them removed, unless they gives your dog any problems, which I don't think they will.

Nina
Norway