Author Topic: Can dogs eat cat food?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« on: November 07, 2003, 10:45:51 PM »
It is very tricky to get my springer, who is a very fussy eater, to eat two square meals a day (god, I sound like my dad... ;D) but i have discovered that she will eat without fail, every time, tinned whiskas cat food ::)

At the moment, I'm just happy to see Jazz excited about food, because it's such a rarity, but is this something that should be discouraged - is there a reason why cat food of this type should not be eaten by dogs? ;D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 11:30:53 PM »
I know cats shouldn't have too much dog food but not sure about the other way round ??? Cats have different protein needs to dogs so maybe cat food has higher protein which might not be a good thing for a dog? I'm sure a little cat food mixed with Jazz's usual food would be fine but not sure about a dog eating cat food exclusively. Have you tried Chappie Mike (well not you personally ;D)? It always used to look & smell like cat food so maybe Jazz would like it ;)                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 11:39:05 PM »
Have you tried Chappie Mike (well not you personally ;D)? It always used to look & smell like cat food so maybe Jazz would like it ;)

Chappie is excellent for fussy eaters or dogs with colitis our vet recommended that for our old cairn x yorkie :)

Another thing maybe you could try if you havent already is the tins of Butchers Tripe!!  Its not the first time I have heard about dogs liking cat food though ???  Maybe its a dogs clever way of trying to get rid of the cats ;) Kidding!!!

Good luck Mike! Indie is a fusspot eater too ::) so I know what you are going through but she seems to eat the butchers, and its naturel ;D  

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 12:30:29 AM »
Have you thought of trying Chicken Wings Mike  ;) ;D

I have tried Chappie with Butty....but she wouldn't eat it at all  ::) What about Naturediet as an alternative. Jane recommended this to me some time ago and Butty loves it (most of the time  ;)) The good thing is that it comes in sealed pouches which you can microwave slightly which gives off a lovely aroma...the Lamb one smells like a sunday roast  ;) ;D
I also know that Mary is feeding Lottie this now and I think she's doing well on it...also Colin feeds Jimmy on it  ;)
I usually mix Buttys in with her dry food  ;)

Gilly                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 12:34:26 AM »
Gilly

I haven't heard of the naturediet before ??? tell me more please ;)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 12:42:55 AM »
Hiya Emma,

You can find out all about Naturediet here http://www.naturediet.co.uk/ Its usually readily available from Pets At Home (thats where I buy mine) and its 59p per carton....so is more costly than just feeding a complete food. But I tend to mix about a 3rd of a packet in with each meal and keep it in the fridge in a tupperware box  ;) I also usually microwave it for about 10-15 seconds before I mix in the dried food and it gives off a nice aroma and also mixes in really well  :)

EDITED TO ADD...you can also read all about Naturediet and about the contents of pet food etc here http://www.naturediet.co.uk//images/FEEDINGF.PDF

Gilly                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 08:53:19 AM »
I was told that while a dog can eat cat food - they shouldn't, for the reasons Jane has covered. It is higher in protein than dog food. The "end" product, if you catch my drift ;) is as you know more smelly from cats and I believe that's down to the food.

Chappie sounds a good idea but is Jazz eating the cat food because it's the cats? If you make it hers might she go of that too? Just a thought.

Fussy eaters are such a nightmare :- I've found a new complete called Salters and the boys seem to enjoy it. They eat it more readily than Nutro and it's made from human grade meat. It is expensive but I get it on a price match to Nutro ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 09:59:01 AM »
I always find it amazing when you see the words 'fussy eater' and 'spaniel' in the same thread ;D                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 10:01:59 AM »
At a training session I took Jimmy to once, we were given a talk on various food stuffs that aren't good for dogs (chocolate, grapes etc) and cat food was included for the high protein levels.

As Gilly says I now mix Naturediet in with Jimmy's JWB and he seems to love it. I've been using it for a few months now and he hasn't tired of it either, which is a first. ::) He hasn't put a single gram of weight on though, he's still Slim Jim. He always did like wet food but it didn't seem to agree with him, many people seem to do well with Butchers Tripe but that caused him all sorts of problems. I never tried him on Chappie ....... we used to feed my childhood dog on that and I can still recall the foul smell, colour and texture of it...... which is probably the exact same reason why dogs love it. :-X ;D                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 10:04:06 AM »
Hi  Mike!!  we had a very fussy eater!! and we were told by the vet to give her chappie,     it realy stinks though  :-X When nell was younger she was a nightmare to feed!!  ??? And the breeder adviced us to give her  butchers Tripe. Which she loved,  :P we used to add a bit to her nutro.

edited to say........she eats anything now  :D complete on its own, or with a treat added. I might try her with the nature diet as well.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks everyone - what I suspected, so thought I'd better ask  ;D

Hmmm, not sure what to try next - I also remember the horrible smell and look of Chappie that my dogs ate when I was growing up... dont think it's something I'd like either of my dogs to eat by choice really :- Maybe I'll try it... or the tripe... thats pretty minging too though if I remember correctly :-X Never thought I'd say it, but the chicken wings do sound the better option
:o ;D I'll have a look at the naturediet website now - thanks for passing it on Gilly  ;)                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 02:54:04 PM »
Hi Mike

Honestly these Spaniels drive us to dispare sometimes don't they  ::)

I highly recommend Naturediet - my three have it occassionally and love it to bits.  The company is great as well as they sent me a whole case of food for my Discover Dogs Event  ;D ;D  

They also love Butchers and I've just recently bought some of the Webbox which comes wrapped like a sausage and they love this as well.  

You could also cook some minced beef in its own fat and try this with Jazz - Douglas loves it and eats all his biscuits if I've mixed this in with it.  

Mine also love Sardines & Tuna in sunflower oil and white fish.

Hope this might give you a few more suggestions.  And there is also the good old Chicken Wings  ;)                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 03:46:56 PM »
;DThanx for that info on Naturediet Gilly I will have a read of that :)

Good luck with all the ideas Mike :)  Blimey after all that doubt she will be able to walk ;)  Then your post will read HELP I CANT STOP MY DOG EATING ;) ;D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 05:20:02 PM »
Lottie loves Naturediet Mike, although I have to say, she's never been a particularly fussy eater but did go off her JWB.  She enjoyed the tripe too but the reason I changed her to Naturediet was that she was getting upset tummies :-

She is now back to crying, wimpering and shaking in anticipation for her breakfast and tea ::)...life for her is back to revolving around food :-                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Can dogs eat cat food?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 09:09:21 PM »
I have been feeding our cockers on nature diet and i am very impressed! :D I have noticed that there skin and coats are healthy and glossy since changing over.  

I also have a problem with fussy eating but only with our dog. The bitches are real piggys but Toby is so fussy and I am always trying to keep weight on him.  Sometimes he will eat a whole meal and sometimes he will just sit and guard it.  iTS VERY FRUSTRATING!  I have recently been trying to split his meals into 3 a day he has Butchers tripe& chicken and Biscuits for breakfast and tea and pasta and fresh tripe for lunch.  But still he sometimes only will have a few mouthfuls is this common in Dogs in particular does anyone know?                    
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman