Author Topic: Wiggley worms !!  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Gaynor

• Site Member
Wiggley worms !!
« on: December 01, 2003, 09:25:00 PM »

Hi there

I could of 'died ' today took my 23 wk old pup out for a walk , she did her 'business' and as i went to scoop it up there was a great big worm in it .... i took her straight to the vets and they gave me some granuals for her .... panacur (?) ...... im feeling discussded with myself   :oops:  , we keep her  very clean etc , she had her last lots of worming (paste) LESS than three months ago , AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ??

Thanks gaynor xxx                    
HAVE A LOOK IN MY ALBUM FOR A RECENT PICCIE OF AMBER !!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 09:49:09 PM »

I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ??

Probably not Gaynor - my guess is that you've used one of those types of worming remedies that you can buy in supermarkets? They're not always so effective - same with the flea remedies they also make  :roll: Panacur or Drontal from the vet is a LOT more effective so dont worry about the worms as they'll soon be gone  :wink:                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 06:27:44 PM »
Agree with Mike - never use worming tablets you can buy from the supermarket.  Drontal and Panacur is available without a vet's prescription, so you can buy it much more cheaply over the internet, particularly if you buy in bulk.                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 06:31:34 PM »
Can i just add, that you need to know your dogs weight, before using.   :)

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Gaynor

• Site Member
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 07:36:58 AM »
Hi There

Thanks for your replies ..... The last 'worming' treatment she had i got from the vets, (as i was told NOT to buy from the supermarkets ) , it was in a syringe it was a paste that had to be given over 3 days ......that was LESS than 3 mths ago .. :?

Any idea how long the t'ment takes to work , she had the 'granules' on Monday evening ??(shes 11kilos !!   :roll: )

Thanks again to you all for your help

Hope your all well ?

Love gaynor xxx                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 07:55:09 AM »
I think thats the common misconception about wormers. They will kill whatever worms are present but the dog can very easily just go out and re-infect itself the following week. One of my cousins dogs has to be done every 2-3 weeks as it is a real scavenger.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gaynor

• Site Member
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 05:15:35 PM »
Hi Gill

Thanks for your reply !

Is it ok to be giving a dog the wormer (panacur) tmore frequently than three months , i really dont want her to have 'them'  again!

Thanks

Gaynor xxx                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Wiggley worms !!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 06:29:11 PM »
Hi Gaynor,

You could give it monthly if you wanted. I just do my three with Drontal every 3 months - don't think I'd be popular if I gave it to them every month :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)