Author Topic: question about colitis and a MIL rant  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: question about colitis and a MIL rant
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

I can sympathise on the MIL front - when we take Honey to my in-laws she is desperate to give her all sorts of treats!!! Honey doesn't have any problems tolerating foods, so that isn't too much of an issue, but obviously we don't want her eating all kinds of rubbish!

Fortunately MIL is willing to listen to some "groundrules" - we do allow Honey to be a bit spoiled there, but not if it interferes with her diet.  She will get any peices of veg when being prepared, but other treats have to wait until she has eaten her meal.  I cut down her meal sizes a little so she doesn't put on any weight and we reduce her normal treats too.... Try working with your MIL - as stuffster said, see what treats you can give Merry and give your MIL a big bag of them when you visit, so she can still spoil him.  Assuming he can tolerate oats, get her to make him his own porridge (made with no salt and only water) - I have given this to Honey when she was feeling unwell.  If this doesn't work, get your OH to step in and do the arguing!!!  ;)

Good luck finding what triggers Merry's colitis -
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline debsj

• Site Member
  • Max (aka Mud Magnet)
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »
Merry was sick on Saturday, then he had two poos in the house last night (which he never does) and then OH found some ??clotted, mucousy blood on the kitchen floor - I mentioned it to one of the girls at work and she said her dog was like that and it was colitis.  We took him to the vets tonight and the vet said she thought it might be colitis as well.  She has prescribed him some Salazopyrin (I think my brother in law had this for crohns disease) and some of the Hills Science diet.  His anal glans were very full as well.  Can anyone help with these questions
1) If it is colitis - we have been told to feed him only the Hills Science until shortly before it runs out and then reintroduce Burns - are there any cooked meats we should avoid?
2)  Any ideas what sort of treats we can give him?
3) How do we stop a mother in law, who we have tried to tell over and over and over again!!! Not to feed him porridge, week old chicken and stuffing from last weeks sunday dinner! left over chille-con-carne, custard creams etc  >:D  I have even offered to let her pay all of his vets bills (got nowhere with that though
All help gratefully received :D

My 14 month old boy had a bout of colitus when he was only 4 months.  We'd been giving him little bits of tuna and the vet said that young puppies don't have the enzymes to break down the protein so it just ferments in their gut.  We were told to keep Dylan on a a diet of boiled rice for a few days and then slowly introduce some chicken before eventually getting him back on his dried food.  This worked, fortunately Dylan loves his food and didn't complain even though his brother, Max, was having his proper food.  This worked and we are now very careful with him.  My mum bought them some kind of pedigree treats a few weeks ago for Dylan's first birthday (can't remember what they were) and these also upset him.  We now just give them winalot shapes/biscrocks as treats.  Beef jerky (gift from a neighbour) also upset his delicate tummy.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
Just tell MIL that anything other than his proper food causes the squits and you wouldn't want that whilst Merry is in her house.