Author Topic: How to remove a tick  (Read 54411 times)

Offline PollySpaull

Re: How to remove a tick
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Ugh disgusting things [emoji35]

Got one off Montys back the other day about the size of that one Rubybella! We have sheep in the field next to our house at the moment so he is regularly checked!!

Hate them with a passion!

Love from Polly and Monty!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2015, 04:40:59 PM »
Be really helpful if posters on here stated roughly where they were.

This is much more of a problem in certain areas, but may be spreading.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
AFAIK they are all over the country. Can't speak about cities as I live in the country, but we travel all over the UK in our moho and have picked up the blighter just about everywhere. anywhere there are wild rabbits, deer, hedgehogs, etc, there will be ticks. Some years they are worse than others.

Vile things, they give me the shudders.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
Yes, you can find ticks pretty much all over the UK but some areas are supposed to be really bad.  I am in the Chilterns and usually get a few - quite a lot this year though.  >:(

New Forest, Wales and Scotland I believe have a lot of them, but they can be anywhere and it varies from year to year (this was a bad year) so we all need to be aware of what to look for and how to deal with the little blighters  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline Poi

• No Place To Be
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
Becoming an expert at dealing with ticks while living in Romania. We have all these great untouched woodlands and mountains nearby but unfortunately, ticks are more of a problem here.

Thankfully our local vets has great teachers!

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »
When we lived in Scotland , our dogs averages 5 -6 ticks a day on/in them, some yes were removed before they got attached, never got the hang of the midge 'tools; so after 20 yrs of coping with these critturs  I have my own finger technique for removing them. Works on me too

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
It's that time of year again when the blasted ticks are out and about.  Just a reminder to anyone new to the joys of ticks - this thread will tell you all you need to know about getting rid of the >:D things.

I have already removed 3 from one of my cats who has a tendency to sit in the grass in a field stalking the bunnies  >:(  I am in Bucks and the weather has been mild this year, so, just a heads up to get that O'Tom at the ready  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
.......and just when we were starting  to look forward to some warm weather and carefree walks!!  >:(
- don't know what's worse, snowballs and never ending mud or tics, pollen and grass seeds! O'h the seasonal joys of cockerhood!!  :005:

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »
Well today found a tick right by Benji's dew claw.  Couldn't see it but I know (from past experience) >:(
Does anyone know how to get yo it, other than cutting back all of his fur surrounding this blighter?  He has a lot of fur in this area but as its on the underside it should be ok.  Any advice would be useful.  His past ticks have been on the edge of his ear and his back.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »
Well today found a tick right by Benji's dew claw.  Couldn't see it but I know (from past experience) >:(
Does anyone know how to get yo it, other than cutting back all of his fur surrounding this blighter?  He has a lot of fur in this area but as its on the underside it should be ok.  Any advice would be useful.  His past ticks have been on the edge of his ear and his back.  Thanks in advance.

If you follow the link in the first post on this thread, it will tell you all you need to know about how to remove a tick.  If you have an O'tom you should be able to get the hook under the tick without cutting back the fur.
Julie and Watson

Offline Jillsn

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Yes, Maria, they will fall off once they're full, and won't actually harm the dog in most cases. If they fall off, you might find them in the house as what looks like a shiny, black, oval button. Poppy used to get quite a lot, but since she's been on Bravecto the last couple of summers I've not found one on her. I imagine she still picks them up, but they die and fall off once they've bitten her. I tried the 'spot on' type treatments but I was never convinced that they worked very well. Bravecto is expensive, but it really does work.