Author Topic: A cold?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline sneaks

A cold?
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
Rogue woke me up sneezing last night - big proper sneezes. We're sleeping in a room with no heating (she sleeps on a bed on the floor), so we were warm, but she did seem cold. I wrapped her up and dotted some olbas oil around her bed.

Today she's had a bit of a stomach upset when we went to the park (ie. it was a bit runny  :020: ) but this could also be the fact that my MIL was supposed to look after her yesterday but when we got back we found she hadn't been out with her  >:D so she was a bit backed up, which always makes her go a bit funny the next day. So it could be that.

But today, she's just not been right, her nose is v cold and its a bit drippy, but she is randomly yelping, when she's just sat on the sofa.

Is this just a cold? I can't get to a vets until Friday :(

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: A cold?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
Hmm .. I'm not sure if dog's get colds  :huh: They can get chills though, Millie is quite susceptible to being cold and feeling cold.
Her nose is very dry most of the time though, whereas Jennie's is very wet all of the time and very cold!

Can you take her temperature?  Is she eating and drinking normally?

Maybe you could give the vets a call and just take some advice over the phone in the meantime?

Hope she's ok x
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »
Two of mine had colds the other week, I could hear the 'gruffness'  in their barks like they had a sore throat.
They were sneezing a lot, no coughing and was still wanting their food.
As I'd never had a dog with a cold before I took them to the vets as a precaution as I didn't want it to go on their chests.
They were perscribed a weeks' worth of Norviclav antib's.

They still continued to sneeze, not as much, for about a week but seemed to have got over it now.

Like KellyT, I would consider a call to the vets.
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline sneaks

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
she hasn't sneezed during the day yet, no coughing. But she is doing this whimpering thing if she moves suddenly, and she was very tentative getting onto the sofa. I've checked her over, can't feel anything (i.e. lumps/thorns) and can't find anything she's sensitive to, she just seems all dopey  :huh:

she was happily chasing squirrels in the park this morning. Maybe it is a cold or a chill. The room we stay in is VERY cold at night, we survive under a duvet, but she threw her blanket off during the night. Might put her with my piglet hot water bottle tonight.

We're back at my house (with central heating) tomorrow morning so will see if she improves.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »

Honey's had a cold before... as long as they're not really unwell I wouldn't be going to the vets with cold symptoms unless they were lasting for an unusually long time.  I'm not a fan of giving anti-biotics as a precaution - it's how we've ended up with superbugs...  :-\

I would be a little more concerned about the yelping and whimpering, though... though if she's been cold and then raced around a lot she may have strained a muscle slightly.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline sneaks

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
ah now that makes a lot of sense...hmm. It hasn't been *that* cold though  :huh:

She couldn't physically get up on the bed last night for evening cuddles - she put her front paws up and couldn't jump up (she's usually fine) and seems to yelp every time she shifts her position slightly.

I've checked and prodded her all over and can't get her to reproduce the yelp under those conditions  ph34r

I'm at work all today, so will see how she is at 5. She walked perfectly well this morning though, although I took her for a short walk.

Offline sneaks

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »
oh and she also did more sneezing last night, couldn't settle on her bed, wandered around (we'd given her a full on duvet and hot water bottle), couldn't settle at all :(

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
is she still eating / drinking / toiling normally?  :huh:

The sneezing *could* just be something int he room that get 'up her nose' when she goes in - for example my hubby's body spray makes our two sneeze even if they aren't in the same room and that can be 4 or 5 in a row - not sure what it says about his choice of fragrance  :loll:
/
the whimpering/crying though is a concern  :-\  Are you able to take her temperature?
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline sneaks

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
she seems normal apart from tail-between-legs when in the house and the whimpering.

I have managed to get a vet appt at 6.15pm tonight, so will see! I'm hoping its not something awful like lyme disease or lungworm or anything