Author Topic: Bladder control  (Read 4450 times)

Offline davies10

• Site Member
Bladder control
« on: January 06, 2003, 10:26:14 AM »
My 2 cocker spaniel dogs aged 15mths are still squatting instead of cocking their legs & also still soiling the kitchen floor overnight. What have I done wrong? We have 2 older dogs aged 9 yrs & I though they would have learnt from them.                    

Sue H

Bladder control
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 12:23:55 PM »
This touches on something I have been meaning to ask about - Bramble is only just over 3 months but he still widdles like a girlie.  I have suggested to my partner (in all seriousness - ha ha) that he will need to take Bramble out into the garden and actually show him how to cock his leg up against trees, plants etc. since our other cocker is a bitch and he needs a role model!  Given Jeremy's natural modesty, coupled with the sub-zero temperatures we are presently enjoying, it goes without saying that this suggestion has received some resistance.  I know a couple nearby who have two Jack Russells and the bitch tries to emulate the dog by lifting her leg up - is it nature or nurture?  I worry that if Bramble keeps squatting in this weather, his little tassell will freeze to the ground! :o I will read any replies with interest!                    

Offline viv

• Site Member
Bladder control
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 12:29:22 PM »
William is 14 months as he squats like a girl...there are times when he does cock his leg but he never seems comfortable.  He runs around the park with an 8 year old cavalier who cocks HER leg!...  ;D                    
Viv and William send love and wags

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bladder control
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 01:13:57 PM »
Male dogs learn to cock their legs at varying ages - some will start at around 7 months (when adolescence starts) & others will be very much later. We have had one male not start cocking his leg until he was 3 years old (long after he was first used successfully at stud) & the other did not start until he was around 2.  Some bitches do indeed appear to lift their legs & scent mark like a male - we have had a couple who have done this over the years, although they never lift their legs as high as a male does :)

As to the messing at night problem with the 2 15 month old boys, try feeding their last meal earlier in the day (no later than 4 pm if poss), take them out for their last trip outside as late as possible at night & if you are leaving water down for them to drink at night, try reducing the amount.                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Bladder control
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 01:14:30 PM »
I cant really comment on the squatting v cocking debate - I think that it does come naturally eventually, but those who have boy dogs will know better than me and my girls :) Although I dont think Bramble's bits will freeze to the ground, Sue  ;D

re the original question and your two dogs of 15 months still soiling at night... well, I think this is one of the difficulties of trying to train two pups of the same age, at the same time. It's a lot harder, partly because they can bond very closely with each other, and partly because there's a bit of a circle going on - one pup wees, the other thinks its okay and wees too, then the other pup thinks its okay and so on.

I'm sure you do all the following anyway, but I'd just tighten their routine up a little more, if possible, by: limiting the amount of water they have at night (though stil leaving some); by going to bed a bit later and getting up a bit earlier, if possible; making sure they both go out and do their busines before you put them to bed - you might want to do this one at a time as it could be easier; possibly using a different cleaning solution to mask any odours left by their existing soiling - you'd be amazed how powerful their noses are.

Hope you find this useful  ;)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Bladder control
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 01:15:26 PM »
Great minds think alike Mike ;D                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Bladder control
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2003, 01:30:33 PM »
oh yeah  :D                    

Offline davies10

• Site Member
Bladder control
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 06:25:58 PM »
:)Thanks for all your comments. We do the things suggested anyway, so it may be just a question of sitting & waiting so to speak.