Author Topic: Booster while pregnant  (Read 1813 times)

Offline BridgetW8

• Limited Member
Booster while pregnant
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
Could I have some advice please.  Milly is 50 days pregnant and her annual booster is due on 3rd Oct.  The vet said I should have her done to give the puppies some immunity.  My gut feeling is to wait as the booster as far as I understand has a 15 month window.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Booster while pregnant
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:38 PM »
I would never give a booster to an in whelp bitch personally - it's best to avoid giving any chemicals/drugs etc during pregnancy unless strictly necessary and in this case a booster really isn't necessary. However you'll find all sorts of opinions out there on this so in the end it's your decision - vaccination companies and some vets will say it's safe, others including many breeders will disagree
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:36 AM »
Also you don't have to give on exactly the right date anyway as there are often quite a few months before its invalid - ring your vet practice up and ask how long (my own practice is really helpful re this sort of thing and it depends on what you use)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jesse

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
I would not get any of my girls it while they were pregnant.

Offline BridgetW8

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
Many thanks for your comments my gut feeling is to leave it.  Her boosters are done regularly as are my other two so shouldn't be a problem to wait.