Author Topic: Breeding for Colour  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« on: February 26, 2003, 10:15:54 AM »
Can you breed for colour in cockers, or is it 'luck of the draw' somewhat?                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 10:18:51 AM »
This is a good thread that mostly answers that question, Jo.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=482

Genetics is a fascinating area!                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 12:21:16 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I was interested in how Nikki's Ebbie (solid black) produced Finn (orange and white and very cute).

From what Jane S says in the link you provided I guess that both Ebbie and the sire must have carried recessive parti-colour genes and Finn got them both???

Is colour linked to sex e.g. tortoiseshell cats are only ever female - are any of the colour combinations in dogs linked like this?                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 12:53:40 PM »
Yes I think that's how Finn was produced - however, to make it a bit more complicated, Finn I believe is classed as a mismarked Gold - Jane/Nikki, does that class him as a solid then?

No idea about colour being linked to sex - my instincts say no, and that's based purely on having seen most colours/combinations in either sex on this site during the past year.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 09:25:02 PM »
Nikki's Finn would not be classed as a particolour - I guess the best way to describe him would be gold with white markings but he couldn't be described as orange roan or orange & white as he's predominately gold.

No there's no sex link between colour inheritance in Cockers as there is in Tortie cats - either sex can carry any of the colour genes which is what makes breeding so interesting sometimes :)                    
Jane

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 10:21:36 PM »
ooo just got on and found a thread about my finlay  ;D

Ebbie is solid black (with a few white hairs on chin and chest), she comes from a long line of gold dogs, a couple of black/tan and one black (her mum) - and i always knew that solids come from solids - so you always breed a solid to a solid.  A solid to particolour breeding isn't usual practice.  

When we took ebbie to the breeder of the sire, we actually wanted/hoped for black/tan puppies, she did have a slip mating with a gorgeous black/tan, but when we took her back 2 days later - she would not let him near her, we took the advice of the breeder, and tried a gold - still no joy, the only dog she would let near her was an orange and white, hence the pups.  I have registered them as golds but as jane saw pics of them when they were born - she advised me so to speak.

Ebbie was 2 and a half when we took her, on her thrid season, the best time according to loads of breeders for her first litter.  So we went ahead even though we knew we might not end up with solids.  I'm probably going to try again in 2 yrs and hopefully this time she will like the black/tan sire - fingers crossed anyways.

Nikki xx                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 04:08:25 PM »
Right I'm the first!!!!!!!!  Nikki, put my name down for one of the pups!!!!!!!!!  I want first pick ;D

If they come out looking anything like Finn, then I'm having one  ;D  That shoud be about the right time for us as well, Jasper will be old enough to take it ;D ;D ;D                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 05:03:41 PM »
;D  I will u put u at the top of my list lol

Finn is gorgeous even if i do say so myself and even if he isn't good enough to show - he is sooooo laid back as well - dunno how i'm gonna train him - as soon as i get down to do anything - he falls asleep on me.  Oh well - i'm sure i'll get there in the end                    

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Breeding for Colour
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2003, 06:11:26 PM »
Can I be second on the list please?!

Emma