Author Topic: can you help?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline honey84

• Site Member
can you help?
« on: March 08, 2003, 01:44:20 PM »
I have a 6 month old golden bitch, and from all the books that i have about cocker spaniels I am still unusure as to when and how long she will be in season for?as i dont want any accidents and am not planning on breeding from her for a while yet.
any help or information would be gratefully appreciated.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
can you help?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 03:30:54 PM »
Your bitch could be in season any time over the next few months & you can expect her season to last around 3 weeks, although it is sometimes less & sometimes more. I would recommend you buy a copy of "The Book Of The Bitch" by Evans & White as this will tell you all you need to know about a bitch's health, seasons etc & also plenty of information about breeding & care of puppies.                    
Jane

Offline honey84

• Site Member
can you help?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 11:40:16 AM »
thanks for that information, i will go and buy it tomorrow.                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
can you help?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 11:50:34 AM »
My girls are normally in season for 15 days or so. To probably go into too much detail. When they start to show colour (bleed) you count this as day one. Depending on the bitch they will be ready to stand at about 10-14 days - i have one who is ready early (10 days) and one who is late (12 days)

I have heard of bitches standing as early as 8 days and as late as 15 days so it varies alot.

How do you know they are ready to stand - well they do just that stand still with their tail in the air when another dog approaches.

If you dont want a litter it is definatly sensible to be cautious for 3 weeks from the first colour show.

Clare                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline honey84

• Site Member
can you help?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 11:42:46 PM »
thanks for that, i havent had chance to get the book yet but i am planning on getting it asap.im still a little confused tho, honeys now around 9months and when taken for a check up at the vets 3 weeks ago he said she would be in season within 2 weeks and still nothing, i am unsure as to breeding as of now but it would be nice to know when to start being careful.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
can you help?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 12:28:57 AM »
No vet can tell you when a bitch will definitely be in season -all bitches are different & they vary enormously as to when they will have their first season, anything from 6 months to 18 months (& occasionally even older). When she does come in season, you will have to be especially careful during the middle section (ie the second week) as most bitches ovulate during this time. If you decide you don't want to breed from your girl when she is older, The Book Of The Bitch is still invaluable as it covers so many other things relating to a bitch's health.                    
Jane

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
can you help?
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 01:55:53 AM »
No vet can tell you when a bitch will definitely be in season -all bitches are different & they vary enormously as to when they will have their first season, anything from 6 months to 18 months (& occasionally even older). When she does come in season, you will have to be especially careful during the middle section (ie the second week) as most bitches ovulate during this time. If you decide you don't want to breed from your girl when she is older, The Book Of The Bitch is still invaluable as it covers so many other things relating to a bitch's health.

I agree with Jane about the Book of the Bitch. I think it's a brilliant reference when you own a bitch. I decided to have Poppy spayed after her first season, but I still consider my Book of the Bitch to be my bible. It gives detailed advice about ownership of a bitch, regardless of whether you want your bitch to have (or whether she's capable of having) a litter.

You might be able to get a copy from your local library so you could read it before you buy it :)

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)