Author Topic: Calcium  (Read 3904 times)

Anonymous

Calcium
« on: March 25, 2003, 06:06:44 PM »
Hi

What are all your views on giving a calcium supplement AFTER the last pup has been whelped.  My vet recommended NOT giving it last time and my bitch went down with a really bad eclampsia and as Rosie is due in 8 days I just wondered what you all thought on supplementing??                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Calcium
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 11:13:31 PM »
Some breeders do give calcium after all the puppies are born (but not beforehand obviously) but we have never done so & have had only one bitch with eclampsia, which was our v first litter (over 15 years ago) when we innocently followed another breeder's advice to supplement with calcium during pregnancy - a recipe for disaster! I know how frightening eclampsia is but I still prefer not to supplement with calcium at all, unless perhaps the bitch has had a problem before (not sure from your post whether Rosie is the bitch that had eclampsia last time).                    
Jane

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
Calcium
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 06:46:08 AM »
If you are feeding a premium food you probably don't need it.                    

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Calcium
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 11:23:34 AM »
My bitches normally get a premium quality complete food during and after pregnancy and lots of milk, eggs, cheese etc so I do not find the need to supplement with calcium and have not had any problems in the past. As long as she is being fed a balanced diet I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Calcium
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 11:30:57 AM »
I was warned against supplimenting because it can have the opposite to the desired effect.

A good general diet is the key - all through the pregnancy and beyond.

We have chickens and i boil a couple of eggs when she is carrying or feeding pups and give them to her as treats - she loves carrying them off to eat! (NO SHELLS)

Just keep it constant.

clare                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!