Author Topic: familial nephritis  (Read 3362 times)

Offline niknak

• Site Member
familial nephritis
« on: May 02, 2003, 03:52:44 PM »
:'(hi does anyone know any more info on this,genetic condition.i have recentley lost a cocker spaniel to this condition at only 1 year old.and has anyone else lost one to this condition?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
familial nephritis
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 04:25:45 PM »
Hi there, sorry to hear about your cocker :( To be honest, i don't know an awful lot about it but there are a few breeders on this forum who may be able to give you more info.  All I know is that it only affects young dogs and they won't survive beyond 2 years of age. As its hereditary, have you informed the breeder? The dam and sire should be withdrawn from the breeding program as they will both be carriers.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
familial nephritis
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 04:31:20 PM »
Hi Niknak

So sorry to hear about your Cocker :( FN is a well-known hereditary condition but has become increasingly rare since the introduction of a control scheme by The Cocker Spaniel Club in the 1980's. More info on the condition can be found here & as Gill says, the breeder of your dog should be informed (although you have probably done this already). Mrs Lester, Welfare Co-Ordinator of The Cocker Club, can supply you with more info on FN & would also be interested in your Cocker's pedigree. Her contact details can be found on The Cocker Club site (link given above)

HTH

Jane                    
Jane