Author Topic: puppie help needed please  (Read 3831 times)

Offline jess

• Site Member
puppie help needed please
« on: July 21, 2003, 11:18:35 PM »
HELLO, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ? MY DOG RECENTLY HAD HER PUPPIES.THEY ARE NOW 30 DAYS OLD ON DAY 24 MUM DECIDED THAT SHE HAD ENOUGH SO WE TOOK HER TO THE VET & SHE WAS GIVEN A COURSE OF ANTIBIOTICS, UNFORTUNATELY SHE STILL DOES NOT WANT TO KNOW. ON DAY 24 I STARTED THEM ON SLOPPY FOOD & HAVE BEEN GIVING THEM WELPI ,COULD YOU TELL ME HOW LONG I HAVE TO KEEP GIVING THEM THIS? &HOW MUCH SHOULD THEY BE HAVING? & HAS IT STILL GOT TO BE GIVEN AT A CERTAIN TEMP?  SO MANY???????????? BUT I'M SO WORRIED THAT I MIGHT NOT BE DOING IT RIGHT  PLEASE HELP ???                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 11:34:27 AM »
I dont know how much experience anybody has on here to be able to help! I know Jane is a breeder, she might be able to!

Good luck!                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 12:20:43 PM »
Weaning puppies is a bit of a huge subject to cover here & all breeders have their own way of doing it, some will feed a traditional diet which includes meat, milk, eggs etc & others go for a complete puppy food/puppy porridge. There are also no hard & fast rules as to how much a puppy needs - a breeder needs to decide this by the look & feel of a puppy. If a puppy has a nice chubby body, then he's getting enough. If he looks thin & scrawny, then he's not getting enough & the food needs to be increased. I'm not sure what you are weaning your puppies onto Jess? If one of the good quality puppy diets, then I would be aiming for 4 or 5 meals a day of the food served sloppy for now (many breeders pre-soak the food in puppy milk like Whelpi or Lactol but others just soak in water), then as the pups get older, make the food less & less sloppy by reducing the amount of water/milk added. If you're feeding a traditional diet, again 4 or 5 meals, two meat based & 2 or 3 milk based. If Mum isn't feeding the pups at all, then the meals need to be bigger than if the pups were still able to take milk from Mum. Again you have to play it by ear, if you have a lot of food left after mealtimes, then you're giving too much & if it all goes lightening quick, then perhaps you might need to offer a bit more. If you are going to continue giving milky meals made with the Whelpi, then it's better if it's warm - most pups prefer warm milk to cold to begin with.

HTH

Jane                    
Jane

Offline jess

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 02:38:20 PM »
THANKS JANE :) I HAVE BEEN USING HILLS VETINARY  PUPPIE BISCUITS SOAKED IN WATER IN THE DAY,& GIVING THEM WELPI IN A SEPERATE BOWL MORNING & NIGHT. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THEY  NEEDED WELPI NOW THAT THEY ARE EATING SO WELL ON THE OTHER FOOD, OR DO YOU THINK WATER WOULD DO?( MUM HAS GIVEN UP ON FEEDING THEM NOW FOR GOOD I THINK) THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANYWAY IT'S NICE TO HERE SOMBODY ELSE'S VIEWS                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi Jess,
I would give them some Whelpi more than twice a day at this stage.  The other advice I would give you is to weigh the pups every day, morning and night if you are worried.  They should be gaining about one to two ounces per day at this stage (more is OK). Best wishes, Linda ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 04:32:22 PM »
How many meals of the Hills Puppy Food are they having Jess? It should be at least 4 or 5, then you can give them Whelpi as extra meals if you like or soak the Hills in the milk, although if you are feeding a high quality complete food, then milk is not essential once pups are weaned. I did once have to wean a litter very quickly due to Mum having eclampsia & they went straight onto puppy food soaked in goats milk to begin with & then I gradually replaced the milk with water over a couple of weeks.

PS Make sure you have fresh water available in your puppy pen at all times now (most important if you feed a complete food)                    
Jane