Author Topic: New Born Puppies - Help!!  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
New Born Puppies - Help!!
« on: July 28, 2003, 11:27:19 AM »
Sophie has just whelped on Friday 25 July and coped well. The vet checked out mum and kids on Saturday and they were all in good health.

At birth each pup weighed in at between 8 oz and 9 oz ( by my Scales).  The books all say that they should double their weight by the end of the first week.  When we weighed them this morning one had lost and ounce, most had stayed the same (about an ounce over birth weight) and one had gained an ounce!  At this rate they will fall far short of the required double birth weight.

Sophie is lactating ok and we are trying to make sure all the pups get their fair share of the milk.  Are we doing anything wrong??

We have a planned visit to the Vet this afternoon for the Dew claws to be removed and of course will get Sophie and the kids checked out.

I would be grateful for any advice you could offer.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 11:40:18 AM »
It's not uncommon for weight gain to be slow for the first few days, specially if you take into account that when you weighed them at birth they may still have been a little "wet" from the birth fluids which makes them seem slightly heavier than they actually were. If they are feeding well & all are warm & look nicely rounded, not scrawny or cold to the touch, then they are probably ok. You just need to monitor them carefully for the next few days. Not all puppies double their birth weight in the first few week but you would definitely want them to have put on a few ounces before the end of this week.                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 11:49:31 AM »
Thanks for responding so quickly and more importantly putting my mind a little  at rest.  Thanks again                    

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 02:32:07 PM »
I am pleased to report that all have gained weight!  5.5 oz is the best but all have at least put on 3 oz.  They all seem fit and healthy so we are much relieved.

Sophie is being such a good mum, but she does have quite a sore looking rash on her tummy.  The Vet has told us to bathe it with salt water but not to worry.  We have been doing this 2 or 3 times a day but ther is little or no improvement.  Any advice??                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 03:00:36 PM »
Glad the puppies are gaining weight.
Have you trimmed their nails? puppies can have long sharp nails at birth. You can use some human nail clippers, just take the ends off. As the puppies " paddle " to stimulate milk flow they can leave little scratches on mom`s skin. If the area is already sore this will help to keep mom more comfy.
Apart from keeping the are clean and dry, and changing the bedding regulary ( vet bed is the best as it lets moisture sink through) I can`t offer any more advice.
maybe Jane will be along soon with some advice :)
Tracey.                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 04:13:24 PM »
Glad the pups are gaining weight nicely now :) Agree with Tracey that maybe it's those little sharp puppy nails causing the rash. It's difficult to suggest anything other than salt water because Sophie is feeding puppies - perhaps some homeopathic Calendula cream might be helpful, wouldn't do any harm anyway.                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 07:49:08 AM »
Tracy and Jane

Thanks for the advice.  I will trim claws as suggested and hopefully see some improvement.

Thanks again