Author Topic: Colours  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Colours
« on: August 06, 2003, 03:09:19 PM »
Have read topic and replys "Puzzled About Colours" and it has got me thinking.

My pups have come out Black and White with traces of Tan on the muzzle.

Dam is a Blue Roan and Sire is Blue Roan and Tan neither have any history of Black and White (Parti Colour).  Is it possible this a throw back from many generations back?

What is the proper colour term for Black and White pups with Tan Muzzles??                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Colours
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 03:57:34 PM »
Hi Sophie

Your pups are a little too young to be able to tell whether they are black, white & tan or blue roan & tan. Most light blue roans look black & white for at least a couple of weeks, often much longer. One good indication is to look at the pads of their feet - if they are black or mostly black with just tiny patches of pink left, then your pups are blue roan or blue roan & tan (the tan markings are often not clearly visible for quite some time) Could the tan muzzles you mention actually be staining from where the pups are nuzzling against the milk bar - light pups often get a pinky/brown stain in this area while they are feeding from Mum. It could be that all your pups are blue roan & tan (though that would be unusual as only one parent is this colour). More likely that you have a mix of blue roans, blue roan & tans & possibly black, white & tans. If you want to contact me privately with their pedigree, I could probably tell you if there is any black & white in the pedigree, assuming the breeding is reasonably well-known lines.                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 12:38:08 PM »
Jane

Thanks for the info, I have taken the liberty of sending pedigree details to you and would welcome your comments and advice.

Thanks

Steve                    

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 01:25:50 PM »
Hi there

Just out of interest, do you know what colour the pups are now?

Hope they are all well and not keeping you up all night!!                    
Dawn and Jarvis

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 09:47:36 AM »
Hi Dawn

I am learning all the time!  My Black and White pups are changing into Blue Roans!!  We have three Blue Roan and Tans (tan in the ears and on head), the others all have tan on muzzels and front paws, but it may be as a result of the milk staining.  They are all Blue Roans!! Not a black and white puppy to be seen!!!