Author Topic: How frequently to breed  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
How frequently to breed
« on: August 29, 2003, 09:51:28 AM »
Just a question I would like to throw out to people please, I know it is not normal practice to breed a bitch for two consecutive seasons, but are there any possible problems associated with doing this? And also please, how much more difficult would the bitch handle the pregnancy if she were a little overweight? All advice greatly appreciated. I have looked at the Book of the Bitch, but there is no information about the first question that I can find.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
How frequently to breed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 10:42:14 AM »
I don't know much about breeding apart from chatting to other people or reading the Book of the Bitch. But in my opinion, surely if the bitches 2 seasons fell within a 12 month period you would only be able to register one litter which in my opinion as a responsible breeder or advocate of the breed is irresponsible. Secondly, as with humans I'm sure any bitch would have a much healthier pregnancy if she is in 1st class condition which would mean not being overweight. Just my humble opinion anyway  ;)

Gilly                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
How frequently to breed
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 11:09:27 AM »
It's definitely not advisable to breed from a bitch on consecutive seasons unless the first litter was v small (say 1 or 2 puppies) or the seasons are far apart (eg some bitches only have a season once every 12 months)  A bitch needs time to recover from rearing a litter - those that are bred from time after time (as puppy farmers do) end up worn out before their time :(

Overweight bitches can have problems conceiving in the first place but if they do get in whelp, they are more likely to suffer from uterine inertia & could need a caesarian to deliver the pups. A bitch that is to be mated needs to be in tip top condition, trim & well-muscled not fat & flabby ;) It's a question of degree though, a bitch that is just slightly overweight when mated can easily lose the excess pounds during the actual pregnancy.                    
Jane