Author Topic: Looking for breeders  (Read 2273 times)

Offline zoeround

• Site Member
Looking for breeders
« on: March 31, 2004, 12:20:04 PM »
I have an 18 month old blue rowan cocker dog, I am looking to fing someone to breed with in the next couple of months, anyone give me any pointers as I am new to this                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Looking for breeders
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 02:19:12 PM »
Hi Zoe

I would recommend that you read the following thread On To Stud a Pet Dog or not http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=3420

Most Breeders will take their bitches to Stud Dogs that have excelled in the Show Ring or who produce Show Winning Puppies.  I'm afraid that people wanting to using their Pets at Stud will not find this very easy to do and more often than not it is best left not to use a Pet Dog at Stud.  

Sorry to be blunt but having a Stud Dog isn't something to be taken lightly.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Looking for breeders
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 02:32:32 PM »
Dessie is quite right Zoe - it is very unlikely that any reputable breeder would be interesting in using your dog at stud. Could you tell us why you want to breed from him? If it's because, you would like another puppy just like your dog, then it's far better to go back to your breeder & buy another puppy from the same lines. You would not want to risk your dog's personality changing I'm sure - what they've never had they won't miss :wink:                    
Jane