Author Topic: RageSyndrome and liver/gold cocker  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Jack G

• Site Member
RageSyndrome and liver/gold cocker
« on: October 20, 2002, 10:17:47 AM »
This is my first postng on this site ::).

I have been thinking of getting a cocker for years, and finally have decided to take the plunge before year end.  ;D

Thing is I kinda like the gold/red cockers. I have been assured by the official kennel club breed secretary that there is no risk of rage if I choose the right line to get one from. However  my local v experieinced pet shop owner keeps on at me not to risk it   :P

....any thoughts?                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 10:22:36 AM »
Hi Jack

And welcome to CockerOnline  :D

The Kennel Club are right and as long as you buy from a Reputable Breeder you will not have any problems with a Red or Golden Cocker.  

My friend used to be a childminder and had 4 Red Cockers she never had any trouble with them and the children that she looked after.  

For further information have a look at this site http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/ it will provide you with all the information you could possibly need.

HTH

Dessie                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 03:01:47 PM »
I agree with Dessie - if you choose a pup from an experienced, reputable breeder, then you should not have any problems with temperament when buying a red/gold pup. I'm sure Barry will be along to give you some further reassurance as he has had the unfortunate experience of having a Cocker with Rage in the past but is now the proud owner of a lovely, gold puppy, bought from a reputable breeder. I'm afraid I would not consider the views of a pet shop owner to be that significant, no matter how experienced he is - he does not have the in-depth knowledge of the breed that an experienced breeder/owner has.

Good luck whatever you decide! If you do decide a gold pup is for you, then take your time finding a good breeder & be prepared to wait for the right litter - remember all good things come to he who waits :)

Jane                    
Jane

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 03:11:36 PM »
Hi
      would agree 100% with Jane but would add that the KC list also includes puppy farms so please consult your area breed club.
                      Clive                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 03:56:28 PM »
The KC Puppy Sales Register is now restricted to those breeders who have fewer than 4 litters a year which would exclude the average puppy farmer, though there may be the odd one that has worked out how to "cheat" the system. Most puppy farmers use the "alternative" registries these days, like the so-called Dog Lovers Registration Club or they don't register their pups at all - saves them money after all, which is their main priority :(

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Jack G

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 09:37:30 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance — it is really appreciated... I will start  my search for a gold cocker in earnest now. I am sure I will be posting and reading loads in the months to come. Meanwhile of anyone hears of a gold/red cocker litter from good stock....                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 11:52:14 AM »
I noticed a new tactic from what I believe to be a "puppy farmer" in a recent advert, instead of advertising a whole list of what he describes as "beautiful puppies" he's offering them in different little block adverts, though I twigged that all the numbers are the same, plus they are advertised as DLR registered >:( good job you mentioned this Jane as to any new unasuming owner could maybe take this as being KC registered. So beware.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2002, 03:14:05 PM »
Hi Jack

If you post in the Looking for Breeders section the details of where you live and how far you are willing to travel JaneS will e-mail you privately with a list of litters due.

HTH

Dessie  ;)                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline godley

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 11:30:24 AM »
i have a golden 14 week old bitch and sadly didn,t do the correct reserch before getting her, the breeder said that they had been breeding them for 20 years and seem to know alot, but there is now a nagging voice in my head,

how would i go about finding out if she is from good stock                    

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 11:39:41 AM »
Do you have her Pedigree chart godley? It looks like a little family tree.
The breeder should have give you this when you bought your puppy.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 11:41:48 AM »
Hi Lisa

It's not always easy to spot the dodgy breeders - many have indeed been churning out puppies for years but that does not make them reputable. That does not mean your puppy came from a bad breeder - did you see Mum of the litter & other relatives (grandma, aunts etc)? Is your pup KC registered & is the breeder a member of a well-known breed club like The Cocker Spaniel Club (such clubs have Codes of Ethics which breeders should abide by) Did you get the feeling that the breeder would always be happy to help you with advice if you need it? Did the breeder ask you plenty of questions to make sure you could offer a good home? If the answer is yes to those questions, then you have probably bought a pup from a good breeder & should have no need to worry about your pup :)                    
Jane

Offline godley

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2003, 11:50:32 AM »
thanks

i did get her pedigree, and they did say they were only a call away, the litter has been registered, but i haven,t transfered this as she is a pet and therefore felt no need

when we went, we saw mum and dad, which i have now been told that that was a bad sign, not sure, the dogs where friendly and well cared for.
within the pedigree there were several champions, but i suppose that doesn,t make much difference
i am just worried about the rage thing                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 03:18:36 PM »
Lisa

I have replied on another thread about the rage syndrome.

My sugesstion now I know a little more is to get your puppy to training classes. The chances of rage are minimal. But if the parents were not the friendliest of dogs then that is liekly to pass to your puppy. Training from a young age will help temper those tendencies and with consistent training from you you should be OK but start young and prevent any problems rather than look for a cure in the future when the damage may be done.

I'm not trying to scare you by the way - just help you develop your puppy from the off when it is easier.##hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 06:30:55 PM »
Hi Lisa, I would still transfer ownership even if she is only going to be a pet because she will remain the "property"(don't like to use that word but couldn't think of another) of the breeder otherwise.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)