Author Topic: Unplanned Mating!  (Read 4157 times)

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« on: October 11, 2004, 01:53:40 PM »
My 15mth old Tia slipped her lead when i took her outside - she is in season at the moment so isn't allowed out without a lead on - she was locked with another cocker when i found her ( about 10 mins later - the yelping lead me to them as they were locked and had trouble freeing them ).  

I really don't want her having puppies - was going to book her in for spaying after this season had finished - is there anything my vet can give to prevent this pregnancy (if she is?) as she is far too young.  The other dog is only 10mths himself!!

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 01:58:51 PM »
Yes there is - call your vet now and book an appointment asap.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 02:01:07 PM »
If you are not planning to have a litter from her ever then this may be less of a problem then if you were planning to breed from her one day.

Them being locked together was a tie (natural in dog mating)and you should not have tried to force them apart.

Take her down to the vet asap and he will suggest the best options for you. She is too young to have a planned litter - but would probably cope if you decided to carry on with a pregnancy. (my dad had a bitch who caught on her second season and raised a small litter successfully.) You were lucky it was another cocker who got to her - a bigger dog could cause problems.

From what you have said he may suggest spaying her which will prevent a litter developing.

in the end - GET TO THE VET!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 02:18:21 PM »
Vet isn't open until this evening but will be on his doorstep when it does.

Didn't try to seperate them - mistyped in my panic - very distressing to hear the yelping as they tried to free themselves.

Thanks for the replies - feel so much better now.

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »
Poor you and Tia.

Sounds like you were doing all the right things by keeping her on the lead but these things happen.

The same situation happened to my Mum's dog, she slipped from the car whilst in season and found a dog within minutes (as they do!) Mum took her to the vets and they spayed her the next day, obviously preventing the pregnancy continuing further.

If you definately don't want puppies from her I would say this is your best option.

Good Luck.
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:21:49 PM »
Is the other cocker your dog too?

It's easily remedied by a trip to the vet  :)  

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 03:05:28 PM »
Tia hasn't been out for a walk since her season started - she is  taken to the garden on a lead just to be safe - gate wasn't shut properly!!!!

The other dog wasn't mine - he is actually booked in for the 'snip' in the morning!!

Talk about timing.............

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 03:09:38 PM »
Tia hasn't been out for a walk since her season started - she is  taken to the garden on a lead just to be safe - gate wasn't shut properly!!!!

The other dog wasn't mine - he is actually booked in for the 'snip' in the morning!!

Talk about timing.............
Well it could be worse...you could have not realised it happened and have ended up with a litter of puppies  :huh:

Hope you get on okay at the vet's when they open, must be worrying.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 03:09:53 PM »
I know this shouldn't make me smile - but do you think they planned it???? It is quite romatic if you think of the circumstances!!

Just goes to proove - you can't keep a randy cocker down!

I'm sure it will be all sorted later, after your trip to the vet!
Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 07:56:18 PM »
Having to wait until morning for vet as an emergency came in.

Maybe the the little boy thought it was now or never.
Have to say that Tia was highly excited after it, she was bouncing up and down for a good few minutes - maybe she was trying to say she's a big girl now as she had done 'it'.

Talked to the owner later who said he had been pulling across the other side of the street as they were going past - had only been off lead for a couple of minutes as there were no other dogs around and he was practising recall in the park.

Gate is now firmly secured - collar is tightened - Tia is looking smug - Saffi is wondering what the fuss is about - I can't wait til morning!

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 10:45:50 PM »
Hi

Don't panic about not getting to the vet today there is a new and better 'morning after pill' except its an injection :rolleyes: called Alizin made by virbac, i think.  It consist of two injections 24hrs apart which can be done up to 45 days post mating, but at work we advise that earlier rather than later as its fairer on the bitch.  Obivious it can have a little down side mainly in that the bitch might come into season again afew weeks down the line.

HTH

Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 08:48:19 AM »
it's funny - they always look smug afterwards - really proud with them selves!! Little monkeys! :D  
Clare

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 10:30:39 AM »
Hi

Don't panic about not getting to the vet today there is a new and better 'morning after pill' except its an injection :rolleyes: called Alizin made by virbac, i think.  It consist of two injections 24hrs apart which can be done up to 45 days post mating, but at work we advise that earlier rather than later as its fairer on the bitch.  Obivious it can have a little down side mainly in that the bitch might come into season again afew weeks down the line.

HTH
What happens at 45 days post mating though? Wouldn't the pups would be too large to be reabsorbed by then?
As you say, the quicker it's done the better really, for the bitch's sake.
Hope you get on okay with the vet Daunting.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 11:01:56 AM »
Could it be you meant 4 - 5 days??  :huh:  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Unplanned Mating!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
No apparently this drug can safely be used to induce canine abortions up to 45 days into the pregnancy.

Jane
Jane