Author Topic: Can't catch, won't catch  (Read 637 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Can't catch, won't catch
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
Murphy is useless at catching his ball. He just can't time his jump or run and misses it 9 times out of 10. Even if the ball is rolling on the floor he manages to run over it and misses.

If I throw him a treat he just lets it hit him in the face with no attempt to catch it.

I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with his eyesight (though he seems to spot another dog or squirrel from miles away)

Is Murphy alone in the canine world as being a useless catcher?

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Can't catch, won't catch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:39 PM »
No, I`ve got a useless catcher her too. when I throw anything for her she just winces :005:
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:48:57 AM »
No Ellie is rubbish at catching too...
so am I :005:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »
He might just be as poorly co-ordinated as I am :005:

I have one excellent catcher (Louis) and one average (William), but William has an excuse as he has cataracts and the ophthalmologist describes his vision as being like that of someone having to wear scratched sunglasses all the time. It doesn't bother him though.

If you're concerned you could ask your vet to check Murphy's eyes next time you have an appointment.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
Beau has eyes like a hawk but is still unable to catch things. We never throw a ball directly to him for fear of hurting him when it collides with his nose !

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
Charlie can catch balls but treats just smack him in the face  :005:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »
Bracken's not very good catching the ball at times, keep saying to him to open his mouth a bit wider! :lol:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
Riley is fanastic at catching the ball, he has fab co-ordination. He cant catch a treat though.
I do remember as a kid our springer would jump and catch the treat.

Offline Jessh33

• My Ralphie Roo
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
Another rubbish catcher here, Ralph just sits there and toys and treats just hit him in the face  :005:

All of our other dogs have been great at catching things so out of habit we'd throw them to him, it's hilarious though because he always gives you the " what did you do that for?" look  :005:

Even now without thinking I sometimes still throw things to him!! Maybe one day he might attempt a catch?!

My boys at the bridge Ben 11/7/2002-11/4/2013 and Ozzy 7/9/2002-21/12/2013 - they left their paw prints on my heart xxx

Offline Sue E

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »
Another non-catcher here too. Ozzy does an impressive jump to try and catch the ball but invariably it bounces out of his way or hits his chin!   I sometimes think they're just moving too fast to be totally accurate.  I'll say one thing for him though - he keeps trying !   :005: :luv:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »
It's good to hear that Murphy isn't the only non catching dog. :005:

I am beginning to think his problem is that he goes at top speed after the ball and hasn't learnt to slow down as he approaches the ball. If he is lucky and the ball just happens to be in a catchable position when he gets to it he has half a chance. But more often than not the ball bounces off his head.