Author Topic: Dementia query  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Mhanco54

Dementia query
« on: June 09, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »
Evening folks,
We have a cocker nearer 13 years old,he has a multitude of age related issues but our problem most of all is his behaviour,he continuously whinges,if we assume he needs a wlak then it could only be a few yards out of the house and then wants to go home,we can no longer work out how to lessen this issue but any feedback woud be appreciated

Vets have said he has dementia,we have a plug in gadget thst is supposed to help him relax but doesnt make any difference

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Dementia query
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
I have no advice but I’m sure someone will be along soon.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Dementia query
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your boy with dementia.  We lived with our oldie Ben who had dementia for a good year or so and it was very difficult.  I didn't try the plug in calmer, but the vet gave us a cocktail of medication that helped a little, Ben still wanted to go for a walk and was fine outside, we struggled more indoors as he would find it hard to lie down and relax he paced quite a lot and couldn't be left on his own at all in case he got scared or stuck in small space. 

I'm sorry I can't really answer your question, I just know that a lot of the things Ben did didn't really make sense to us, but he was mostly calm and well in himself so we let him potter on till it got to much for us.  Having lived through the experience of a dog with advanced dementia I don't really know how people manage, we literally had to change our whole life to ensure he was ok, we are lucky we could - my husband stopped working, I brought Harry to work with me every day and we have no children or family ties so Ben was our whole world for a year, I can't imagine how people juggle having a busy life and caring for a poorly dog as well, but I suppose they must.

Good luck with your boy  :luv: