Author Topic: Natural Tick Treatment?  (Read 592 times)

Offline rubyduby

Natural Tick Treatment?
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
At the moment my dogs(pups) are averaging 3/4 ticks a day , sometimes more, I have used frontline which didnt seem to do very well, however as I am a 'natural' person I wonder if anyone can suggest a healthier alternative, we do live in a very ticky area n/w coast Scotland and my pups spend all their time in grass heather bracken etc.(not many roads)I dont fancy the idea of pouring this stuff on for the next ?years, I dont trust nor like chemicals,

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Re: Natural Tick Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »
There is a natural remedy called Bill No Mates that you can buy on the internet.  Although having said that Selby will not have it.  Will live in the French Alps so we too have a problem with them.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
I started using Billy No Mates about 3 months ago now & i would say it has been mainly successful.  :blink:  Over this period i have only found 1 tick each on 2 of my dogs, which is a huge improvement.  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »
Thanks for that I really need a natural alternative

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
We've been really impressed with Billy No Mates this year, (much better than Frontline which we used before) but when I mentioned that on here, quite a few others said BNM hadn't worked so well for them  :-\ For weeks we had no ticks at all, instead of 3-6 every couple of days, since then we've had about 3 in total over the last month or so.

Morgan is quite happy to have the herbal mix version sprinkled on his kibble but some dogs might prefer the tincture. He has it daily although the label suggests you can reduce it after initial dosing but we've not done that.

(I love the smell of the herbs in the morning!)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
We've been really impressed with Billy No Mates this year, (much better than Frontline which we used before) but when I mentioned that on here, quite a few others said BNM hadn't worked so well for them  :-\ For weeks we had no ticks at all, instead of 3-6 every couple of days, since then we've had about 3 in total over the last month or so.

Morgan is quite happy to have the herbal mix version sprinkled on his kibble but some dogs might prefer the tincture. He has it daily although the label suggests you can reduce it after initial dosing but we've not done that.

(I love the smell of the herbs in the morning!)

I do too, its such a lovely smell.  :shades: :luv:  I was almost tempted to add it to the Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce.  :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
We've started using Billy No Mates here too, though its too soon to say whether its effective or not (and also we don't have ticks in our area really)

I did find this on the Taiwan SPCA Blog about natural treatment for ticks, though can't say whether its effective or not, but I would guess that they don't have as much access to chemical deterrents as we do.

1. Spraying a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar on your dog’s coat before walks. This is great for the skin and coat, but also leaves an acidic film on the coat that ticks are not attracted to. Also, it is all natural with no chemicals or toxins that can be harmful to your dog, and is in fact great for his digestive system should he or she lick some of it off.

2. Ensure your dog’s immune system is strong. A strong immune system is a deterrent for both ticks and fleas. Feeding healthy foods, vitamins, and minerals all help boost the immune system.

3. Add garlic to the diet and feed daily. Feed about one gram of garlic (about half a regular clove) per ten kilograms of dog every day (so a 20 kg dog would get one clove). The Taiwan SPCA has found that garlic is just as effective at keeping fleas and ticks away as spraying with chemical parasiticides.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love