Author Topic: Harvest mites  (Read 4256 times)

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
  • Merry has a hoard of stolen treasure in his bed!
Harvest mites
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »
Hi everybody, could do with more of your words of wisdom.

I've checked poor little Merry's paws this morning and discovered harvest mites. He had them last year and they were a  >:D to get rid of so I've been extra vigilant but it seems they've got him again  >:(
The trouble is our garden is surrounded by fields and they've just started to harvest over the last few days so I expect the little blighters are taking refuge with us.

I have a large store of products here in preparation but no idea what to start with  ph34r I've got Frontline spray and the one which goes on the back of the neck, Thornits, hibiscrub, tea tree oil shampoo, and Denes mite cream.
What should I start with? I thought of washing him, putting the frontline spot on his neck and then dusting Thornits between his toes, on his tummy and around his mouth which is where they seem to be at the moment. Does that sound good or would you recommend something different?
I'm also going to wash all his bedding now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really want to get on top of them quickly because last year he seemed to have them for about 2 months!  :o  :'(

Thanks guys xxx
Emma and Merry the Pirate x

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
Re: Harvest mites
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
Forgot to add that I'd also thought about adding some garlic to Merry's food as I know it's a natural flea repellent. What do you think? Worth a go?  :huh:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:49 PM »
Frontline spray on his feet or Stronghold spot on treatment.  I found Frontline on the neck doesn't get rid of them x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
Thanks Sheryl x
I have got the spray so shall try that instead. Do you think it's safe to spray round his mouth too? (goodness knows how he's got them there  :huh: ). Also, I remember trying the spray last year but being concerned that he was bothering over them being itchy and kept trying to lick his paws even with the spray on. Do you think this is safe?

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »
Not sure, never used it on my girls, I just know that when Chloe got them, the vet told me that Stronghold was the only on the neck treatment that would work.  I also bathed her feet in Malaseb which seemed to help a lot.  I am sure someone will be along that can tell you if you can use it near the mouth xx

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
Ooh Malaseb sounds good Sheryl. Does anybody know if you can get it anywhere without prescription? I just know my vets will want to charge me for a consultation if I go to them for it and I'd rather not as I know it's harvest mites.
The same goes for Stronghold too - can you get that anywhere without a prescription too?
x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
Rodaidh has a hellish time with harvest mites, he chews at his paws until they get infected patches on them. That said he's been a lot better this year as he's been on his allergy injections. To keep them at bay I check his feet and legs every day, dunk them in a hibiscrub solution every few days and give his paws a squirt of Frontline spray as often as required, the spot-on doesn't really work for this, you need the spray. If he does get an infestation I do the hibiscrub every day and dust lightly with Thornits and keep up the Frontline spraying until it's back in check again. He does itch his face sometimes but I don't put the Frontline spray on there, I wipe around his mouth and over his muzzle with dilute hibiscrub and you can put some Thornits on there as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
What are harvest mites?
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
Yes --What are they???? :o :o
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »
Our vet put Harv on Advantage for them last year after he had a bad reaction, had some cream to settle worst of it too...

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
I use the Frontline spray - soak a cotton pad and dab it on the affected bits (usually head and neck mainly)  ;)  They are pesky little blighters  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
Thank you (Sheryl) for the info. I hope I never get to see them!
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »
Thanks everybody for all your replies.

Nicola - poor Rodaidh  :'( I completely sympathise. Merry just won't leave his feet and mouth alone. They must really bother them, poor things  :'(

Ollie Nathan's Mum and Waggytails - you'll know if you ever do encounter them as they're bright orange! It looks like the dog's been sprinkled with paprika  >:D

Well we scrubbed the poor boy last night (have to say he was very good with only minimum amount of whingeing  :luv: ) and then put the frontline spray on his feet and tummy and put thornits round his mouth.
I also bumped into a friend in the woods this morning who said her girlie had had them a few years ago and they used vinegar on them which seemed to get rid of them so might give that a go, at least round Merry's mouth as I don't like the idea of using the frontline there and thornits can't taste very nice  ph34r I even noticed them on the bridge of his nose this morning so all the poor lad is going to be able to smell for a while is vinegar  :005:

To all of you who've used the frontline spray before - do you know how often you can apply it? It's just that we have pouring rain here so Merry seems to have permanently soggy paws  ::)
xxx