Author Topic: Hand stripping  (Read 2663 times)

Offline mccclr

Hand stripping
« on: March 07, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »
Hi
Does anyone know of a dog groomer to hand strip our cocker spaniel in the Sheffield area.she is just 7 month old and has been puppy groomed a couple of times ,but the person she been to does not hand strip
Thanks

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Hand stripping
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »
I’m in the same area, north edge.  Bobby passed away a few years back , but my daughter in Penistone has to use groomers. We get fed up with them wanting to do a certain ‘style’, when we just need a short back and sides, and feet!
I wouldn’t strip a puppy. I used a Mars Coat King,  from Woodseats pet grooming supplies (and  groomer), with their advice on the right teeth. It pulls out a cushion load of puppy fluff.  I didn’t find anyone to hand strip. They all said it would take so long it’s hard on the dog, and would cost a lot more in the time needed.
I would have carried on with the Mars coat king, but Bobby didn’t agree.  I ended up having him clipped, he was really thick coated, but I was never happy with the shape groomers thought was right. They don’t like you to stay.   I found one wonderful lady, but she has moved away . Some grooming salons are terrible, treating dogs like a production line.  Pets at Home, Heeley, infamously cooked a puppy with a cage blower, which is now disused.  Others are fine. I would look around , and find a small place which is quiet, so the pup isn’t scared. You could just ask for a foot trim .
Do message me for any specific details.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:15:24 AM »
Good post from Phoenix above.  TBH you won't be able to hand-strip a puppy anyway.  The coat won't be ready.  You'll know when it is.  I'd just have them do a good brushing and foot trim. 

Not many groomers will hand-strip.  It's too time consuming and not viable for them.  Those who have a local groomer prepared to hand-strip and in the minority.  I've always done Jack myself - opinion is divided on using a Coat King - I haven't, preferring the traditional method.  It's a man/dog bonding thing and I enjoy it.  Little and often is the secret.  It's not difficult but there is a learning curve.  Give it a go.

Offline mccclr

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 09:48:39 PM »
Hi
A local dog groomer told me to look on  a web site called groomers spotlight.All groomers on this site must be qualified to level 3 City &Guilds.
found two fairly local to me and one does have cocker spaniel of her own and hand strips.
Also does a free consulting first.
So have book the free consultation,and see what happens from this