Author Topic: Attack of the Thinning Scissors  (Read 3414 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Attack of the Thinning Scissors
« on: August 09, 2003, 09:48:58 AM »
Ok Folks, so I received my thinning scissors, and I have had a go at Millie-Vanilli's coat - but I am too scared to take any more off (I kinda made a mistake on her front legs and she ended up with a noticeable cut mark, although I managed to blend it in, kinda  :-  :-[ )
So what I want to know is, what do our lovely grooming experts think please? Any Advice?                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 09:51:34 AM »
this is the top of her head where her ears are - I think I need to take more off here  :-                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 09:54:42 AM »
it all looks very smooth - but in actual fact it still gets kinda wiggy and fluffy on top of her head ...                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 09:57:13 AM »
I tried to do a close up of her ear - but its a bit blurred and my other half was too busy laughing his off to help                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 10:04:00 AM »
BTW I haven't brushed her this morning - it was last night that I attacked her - thought I'd mention this as my other half exclaimed "jeez she's a scraggy mut on those pictures!"   >:(  :(  :-[                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 10:32:29 AM »
Well Kelly, you are braver then me ;) Im too scared to even pick up my scissors let alone use them on Dallas after the disaster with Vegas :- But for what its worth, I think her head is looking lovely :-*                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 11:37:48 AM »
Hi Kelly,

I think her head and ears look really good....well done....you lucky thing a cocker with what looks like quite naturally flat hair on her ears....you should see Buttys :-X i think i've cut hers far too short at the top which has now made them even more sticky uppy ::) :-[
Not that I know anything....but i would take a bit more of the front of her feet....but your prob better waiting for one of the pro's to come along ;)

Gilly with a dog with Very sticky uppy ears ???                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 12:23:21 PM »
Did you do the top of her head purely with thinning scissors?? Personally I think it looks great  ;D                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 01:58:24 PM »
Hi Kelly

I think you've made an excellent job on her head, I've never been able to get Lotties as smooth.

I admire you for having a go at the rest too, I had every intention to do it myself and chickened out in the end with the thought of tackling her 'moon boots' ::)  I now have to try and keep on top of it

I agree with Gilly about her paws, they could be trimmed more.  Lottie was groomed only 4 weeks ago and Jane trimmed them much shorter than I had been doing (I wasn't quite as brave ;D).  I have had to trim her paws again...especially between her pads...they grow SO quickly :o

Thought I'd add that her tail might need doing too....something else I made a hash of myself of too :-[.  Lottie seems to grow a little paint brush on the end of hers ;D  Good luck...you're doing well ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 03:41:40 PM »
;D ;DKelly I think <Millie looks fab!!

Well done you!  I just aint got a clue about Indie when she gets her coat, i'm not even sure what grooming brush to use ???  Still using a baby brush and comb at the moment ::)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline roy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 04:32:02 PM »
Hi!! Think Milly looks real smart - are you a hairdresser by profession?? Just received my CS grooming video thro the mail this morning so wait now for Alfies coat to grow, then will come the test when I start to wield the scissors!!!  Roy                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 05:02:28 PM »
Hi all

Thank you for your nice comments!  :-[  ;D  :-*

No Roy I'm not a hairdresser, although I do cut my partners hair - albeit with clippers... number 3 all over, nice and easy  ;D  ;)

Gilly / Mary - I'm just too chicken to take off too much around her paws, the same goes for her tail and the bit just underneath it. Just too scared that it will look awful!! perhaps I should get a pro groomer just to do it for me the once so I can see exactly how short I should go  :-

once again though, thankyou for your lovely comments  :-*

Edit - just to say to Mike that i didnt do her whole head with thining scissors - i managed to strip most of it out , just used the scissors on the tops of her ears ans where they meet her head  :)                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 05:46:25 PM »

Gilly / Mary - I'm just too chicken to take off too much around her paws, the same goes for her tail and the bit just underneath it. Just too scared that it will look awful!! perhaps I should get a pro groomer just to do it for me the once so I can see exactly how short I should go  :-

I know exactly what you mean Kelly, thats why I chickened out in the end :-[  Jane knows what Lotties tail looked like after I'd had a bit of a stab at it ;);D  As for her rear end, well, if I could have managed to get her to stand up I may've been in with a slight chance ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jen

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »
As for her rear end, well, if I could have managed to get her to stand up I may've been in with a slight chance ;D

Ditto Mary......when I coat kinged - I could never get down Montys back - as he kept rolling over! ::) -
Kelly - her head looks lovely - I love that 2nd picture! - I gave in in the end and passed Monty to a professional.......£12 was worth it for me as it wasn't something I really enjoyed doing...especially as my boy was particularly hairy! - so well done YOU for being brave enough to go for it :D                    
Jen & Monty xx