Author Topic: DIY grooming!  (Read 4838 times)

Offline carol

• Site Member
DIY grooming!
« on: August 21, 2003, 04:48:04 PM »
Well I did something today that I thought I wouldn't have to do, and that is buying all the implements that go with grooming your dog yourself.  The reason I thought I would get away with not having a go with the coat king was obviously that I thought I could trot Flynn (who is now 9 months) along to a professional groomers.  Unfortunately the ones that I liked the look of don't handstrip, and one told me he thought it was cruel and that spaniels hair wasn't supposed to be handstripped :o

Well, so after giving up on that route, I have one query for when my scissors, combs etc arrive.  Flynn has got some furry knots just under both his ears and one under his front leg.  I did think at first that he had some awful tumours come up, until I realised they were fur balls ;D.  I do brush him everyday, but they seemed to appear over night and Flynn doesn't like me trying to comb them out and tries to bite the comb and brush.  How should I tackle these fur balls?

Thanks for your help.

Carol                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
DIY grooming!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 05:21:41 PM »
Hiya Carol,

Glad to hear your having a grow at grooming yourself :D
Personally i would just snip the knots of with a pair of scissors. These areas especially under the armpits are quite tender so i think pulling with a comb or a slicker would be quite sore. Don't worry tho, i groom Butty everyday too and i had to cut a couple of little knots out of her armpits. At least you know now where the knots tend to grow worse and can pay particular attention to these areas when grooming. O groom Butty on the top of her crate with a couple of old car mats on top, but for her armpits i usually lie her on the floor when she's nice and relaxed  ;)

Gilly                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
DIY grooming!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 05:59:37 PM »
Hi Carol - I ditto what Gilly has said - Millie gets knotty pits too!!

I get Millie to lie down on the table I groom her on - gve her a nice crunchy treat to keep her busy a while and then have a go.
I also spray the area with leave in conditioner (she has l'oreal no more tears for kids at the moment ... well she's worth it  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D)
Anyway if the knots are rally bad I do as Gilly does and gently snip them a little and then comb a little.
the last time I actually used the thinning scissors on the area to "try" prevent such big ones occuring next time - it seems to have worked, so far not such big tangles - not sure how orthadox this is in the pro grooming scene but seems to have worked for me   :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
DIY grooming!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 06:21:01 PM »
Me too.....I cut a very large knot from under one of Lotties armpits last night :(  I groom her regularly but these areas are often missed during daily grooming sessions :-[                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline carol

• Site Member
DIY grooming!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 06:33:39 PM »
Oh, that's good you two have reassured me ;) I couldn't find any previous threads that talked about big knotty bits so thought I was doing something wrong-phew!

I'm very impatient now to start on Flynn, and hope all the stuff arrives soon (only ordered them today though!) I also ordered the video, because it's hard to know where to start, he's very fluffy, but I'm sure it's ready to come out, I certainly find lots of hair bundles around the house.

I've got a camp table that I use for brushing him, that I'll use for grooming, he's a terror on the floor and just treats it like a big game, mind you, on the camp table he just lies down and tries to sleep when I brush him!  

I think I'll do as you say Kelly and trim a little bit of the knot and comb the rest, the armpit will be the worst as it'll be a devil of a job trying to roll him over, and as Gilly said it is a delicate area.

I'm most looking forward to getting all those tufty bits on his head out and him having a nice smooth head like all your cockers, I hope I can manage it!                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
DIY grooming!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 09:33:41 PM »
I was well impressed with Janes method of tackling the knots under the armpits.  She kneels on the floor and turns the dog on their back, their head in her lap with the left arm under their front legs for support.  Just like a sheep shearer ;D  I was well impressed (hope you don't mind me saying this Jane :- ;)).

Well, it threw Lottie completely which was a first ;D ::)  I have managed to do it this way since but with Jims help ;)  Firmness is the key :)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
DIY grooming!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 11:02:59 PM »
I was well impressed with Janes method of tackling the knots under the armpits.  She kneels on the floor and turns the dog on their back, their head in her lap with the left arm under their front legs for support.  Just like a sheep shearer ;D  I was well impressed (hope you don't mind me saying this Jane :- ;)).

Well, it threw Lottie completely which was a first ;D ::)  I have managed to do it this way since but with Jims help ;)  Firmness is the key :)

Course I don't mind Mary ;) I developed this techhnique when I had a bad back once but then realised it was easier than tackling those underarm knots with the dog on the table - my "regulars" doze off quite happily while I do it now (once they get used to the idea ;))                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
DIY grooming!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 03:49:38 AM »
Hi, I don't know if you guys have the same problems that we have with grass seeds over there, but I just wanted to mention that in my earlier days of grooming my dogs, I often found found that those knots were harbingers for grass seeds that had embedded into and under skin. One I found had already become infected. The fur would be knotted right up against the skin and when I cut it away the wound opened up and the grass seed popped out. I've had at least five occasions now, two needing surgery, but it hasn't happened for ages now, as I so much more meticulous, and if the dog says no more grooming, I don't listen until I am convinced we are knot free!!!                    

Offline LeeC

• Site Member
DIY grooming!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 04:18:23 AM »
Hi Carol

Well done for having a go at keeping Flynn in good trim. I have only been grooming Romsey for about 4 months and this site has been of tremendous help.

Good luck and don't forget to post some before and after photos.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
DIY grooming!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 10:29:37 AM »
I'm very impatient now to start on Flynn, and hope all the stuff arrives soon (only ordered them today though!) I also ordered the video, because it's hard to know where to start, he's very fluffy, but I'm sure it's ready to come out, I certainly find lots of hair bundles around the house.

Hiya Carol,

I would also add.....don't expect miracles at 1st...I started off just doing 5 minutes everyday and then gradually increased the time. Butty wasn't used to scissors and the noise was a whole new experience to her.....I was gentle but firm and now she doesn't mind at all (well most of the time ;)). I also have the Jackie Maris-Bray video which is excellent....but she does emphasise that not all of the coat will give at once so it might take a period of time to pull all the puppy fluff. I use the fingers cut off a pair of marigolds to handstrip....but I know that Gill has had more success using chalk. And if you make any mistakes...don't worry it will grow back ;)...good luck and let us know how you get on ;D

Gilly                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
DIY grooming!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 10:37:54 AM »
I'm glad we're not the only ones with knotty armpits! Phoebe's groomer has trimmed them a bit more this time to help cut down on the knots! We groom her everyday but its surprised me how quickly the knots form.

I brushed the other night and a couple of hours later stroked her ear and she had a big knot ::). Out came the slicker brush and I gently teased it out.

I've found a groomer that uses thinning scissors on Phoebe (as she's been spayed so can't be handstripped).                    
Anita

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
DIY grooming!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 10:38:09 AM »
I'm glad we're not the only ones with knotty armpits! Phoebe's groomer has trimmed them a bit more this time to help cut down on the knots! We groom her everyday but its surprised me how quickly the knots form.

I brushed the other night and a couple of hours later stroked her ear and she had a big knot ::). Out came the slicker brush and I gently teased it out.

I've found a groomer that uses thinning scissors on Phoebe (as she's been spayed so can't be handstripped).                    
Anita

Offline carol

• Site Member
DIY grooming!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 05:16:02 PM »
Thanks guys, for all that advise, I shall certainly be sending in some before and after shots, (if it turns out alright that is :P)                    

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
DIY grooming!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 11:25:11 PM »
;D this site is soooo good - i also invested in all the tools once i'd read about them on this site and ebbie has never looked better.  I still don't have it exactly right round the legs but i'm getting there - by the time finn's fur is ready to be stripped out i'll have it down to a fine art lol.  I only do these two every other day cos ebbie has always hated to be groomed, and on the table was no better - launched herself off when she was only a couple of months old, thought she'd really done herself some damage so i always do them on the floor, rolled over having a tummy rub while i comb with the other hand.  As for the mats -i hate it when i've groomed em and the day after i'll find a matt under their ears or armpits even when i've checked them over and i always have a go at combing out first but they don't like it - then a quick snip with the scissors makes it all much easier.

Nikki xx                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
DIY grooming!
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 03:06:53 PM »

Course I don't mind Mary ;) I developed this techhnique when I had a bad back once but then realised it was easier than tackling those underarm knots with the dog on the table - my "regulars" doze off quite happily while I do it now (once they get used to the idea ;))

I do the bellies and arm-pits of my boys this way too - they doze off ;D and it means I can sit on the floor and do it while watching telly too ;D I just sit on the floor and have the dog's oon their backs between my legs using my left hand to hold the leg and my elbow to keep them still if necessary ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional