Author Topic: Is it too late?!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Karen

• Site Member
Is it too late?!
« on: August 21, 2003, 05:53:19 PM »
I've always had my 2 girls clipped and tidied up every 2 months at the local groomers. They advised me to keep them like this even though on my 1st visit I did enquire about hand stripping (but didn't understand enough about it - I now realise they probably couldn't be bothered to donate the time to strip them!). Dogs are now 4 and 2 and both spayed - I've noticed this year that their coats (when they grow) are quite woolly and thick and apart from their feathered bits not silky at all. Is it too late now I've found this site and started to learn a bit more to start hand stripping them myself? If it isn't too late how do I go about starting?! ??? They are due to be clipped again tomorrow so it's a little late to stop that now but for the future......? I keep the knots and matts down ok and bathing/drying isn't a problem. I just feel that the longer silky look is more what I thought I'd end up with!! Grateful for any advice from all you cocker pros out there!                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Is it too late?!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 06:09:01 PM »
hi Karen,

I asked this very question a while back about my mum's 7 year old cocker bitch(also spayed).
Unfortunately it was deemed "too late"" for her coat - and I agree - although Lucy is clipped all over. However it might not be to late for your poochies - but I wouldn't like to say - I'm sure one of the more knowledge groomers should be able to tell you that  :)

However my mum has now got a coat king (thanks Jen  ;) ) and some thinning scissors and is having a good old bash at keeping her tidy. It has made a difference on her back and her ears, they feel more silky rather than the wooly lamb look/feel she was sporting  ;D

unfortunately though the longer the fur becomes the more difficult it becomes to brush and i think it becomes an even bigger task to groom them then when they just need a good brushing and have never been clipped.

currently we are looking at various more"chunky" stripping knives to do Lucy's legs - but I think my mum has resigned herself to the fact that we might have to keep having her legs clipped.
We are also looking into various oils / hair relaxers / conditioners  :o   :o that may calm down her un ruly frizz.
If we find out anything intersting I'll let you know.

A good tip if your dogs are just looking dull is either a hound glove or a good quality bristle brush - 5 - 10 minutes daily brisk brushing with these should help stimulate the natural oils in the coat to come through which help keep the coat shiny  :)

HTH

Kel                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Is it too late?!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 06:41:39 PM »
Hi Karen,

If you look back in the grooming section, you will find a thread started by Nicki (4th February 2003) titled 'coat' discussing the grooming of neutered dogs.

(I'm not sure how to attach the thread for you ??? ::) ;))                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Is it too late?!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 06:56:28 PM »
just thought of something else someone said to me once - evening oil of primrose - one capsule a day in the feed or a treat is supposed to be good for the coat  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Karen

• Site Member
Is it too late?!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 09:06:39 PM »
I do give them them evening primrose oil in their food and also have a strong e.p.o shampoo, it helped Tia as she suffered from dry itchy skin.                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx