Author Topic: Learning to show groom  (Read 3200 times)

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Learning to show groom
« on: September 02, 2003, 07:53:51 PM »
Hi every one!!!
After all the talk about grooming, the video by Jackie Marris-Bray and lots of advice and tips from lovely  COL members, I've decided to have a go at show grooming. Meet my 10 year old "hairy monster" Ollie. He is to be my "volunteer" but he doesn't know it yet. As you can see from piccie he looks more like Chewbacca from Star Wars than a cocker spaniel, I'm embarased :-[. Just hope some grooming might improve his looks....                    

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Learning to show groom
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 07:56:41 PM »
Another piccie of him doing the Nutty professor impression... lol                    

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Learning to show groom
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 08:00:26 PM »
Many many many hours later and very tired, he looks a bit more cockery now!! Nobody told me that show grooming is so difficult :o, now that I've tried, I have such enormous respect and admiration for you,  "the showgroomers". Below is a pic of Dad and Ollie learning to pose for the camera. Dad thinks it's silly!! Ollie can hold the pose but his tail is still wagging!!(bless him) :-* :-* :-* I have so many questions and perhaps made a lot of mistakes!! Still dunno how to do the hindquater bit, round the hocks and bend of the stifle. Maybe I've cut too much of the feathering... what do you think? I'm no good at handstripping at all. In the video the dog is very quiet when Jackie pulls chunks of hair out of her but when I do the same to Ollie, he yelps in pain and tries to bite me!!! :'( Am I doing something wrong??  I persisted even though he whines I just hope I'm not cruel. Dad is very cross with me for stressing Ollie out. Does anyone else experience the same problem or is it just me ?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Learning to show groom
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 08:06:47 PM »
WOW :o Thats quite a transformation ;D I am currently in the process of grooming my own black hairy beast so I know what an ordeal it is ;) Well done :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Learning to show groom
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 09:33:00 PM »
Well done Alexander - pretty good for a first attempt :) Your boy has a very good coat for his age but you can't blame him for not liking being handstripped - normally you would start young & just do a tiny bit at a time to get the pup used to the sensation then gradually do more as time goes by. At 10 years old, Ollie is a senior gentleman so I expect having his hair pulled came as a bit of a shock to the system ;)                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Learning to show groom
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 10:17:06 PM »
Can I just confirm whether Ollie has been neutered or not?                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Learning to show groom
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 10:31:17 PM »
Ollie looks lovely and I admire you for having a go.  I think you've done a good job there on your first attempt :D  He has such a shiny coat ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Learning to show groom
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 11:00:50 PM »
I think you've done a brill Job and he looks great for 10 years old  :o You should be very proud of Ollie and yourself, well done  ;) :D

Gilly                    

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Learning to show groom
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 10:12:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments :D. Sniff... Sniff... Cough! Cough! I'm rather poorly at the moment, got a cold :-. (punishment for being horrible to Ollie) I'm going to lay off any serious grooming for next few weeks I think and wait  for the hair to grow back!!! I know someone will be please to hear that :P. In the mean time I'm going to get myself prepared for the new arrival. I'm getting stressed already imagining sleepness nights,cleaning of poo,howling and Ollie jealous ::)!!! I will definately need your advice when the time comes ;D. But in the end it'll all be worth it :P.

To answer your question Pammy, he's intact ;D.

Alexander                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Learning to show groom
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 02:12:04 PM »

To answer your question Pammy, he's intact ;D.

Alexander

Thought he was from how good his coat was 0 but just thought it worth asking coz if he had been done :-X that would explain why it was so hard pulling the coat out. Instead it just looks like it's quite late for the first go ;D He does look very good though - you 've done a grand job ;D

Hope you feel better soon. Summer colds are the worst :'(                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Learning to show groom
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 07:23:20 PM »
:D Wow!
You have done a good job with Ollie - well done.  He looks a very nice cocker too.   :D
Keep up the good work Alexander.  Like the second photo best ???
Linda                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!