Author Topic: 1mm or 2mm for face?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
1mm or 2mm for face?
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Hi All (again!)

As you have probably guessed by now, I'm looking out for a good clipper to do Oscar's face, neck & ears etc,  and maybe his body, if I get adventerous later, or feel it necessary.

Most people seem to find the Oster Golden A5 good, but I'm having problems getting suitable clipper heads to go with it - the only ones available here (germany) are too long. I've now found a site with an Oster head which is numbered 10, but it is 1mm. Can't understand why a no. 10 here would be shorter than a no. 10 in England?

Would 1mm be too short for face, neck and ears, or should I go for the 2mm?

Thanks for your help again - I hope I'll get this sorted soon!

love Chris & Oscar

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: 1mm or 2mm for face?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:25:38 AM »
I'd go with the 1mm for the face, I think you'll find the 2 a bit long in most cases.

I had kind of forgotten that different blade manufacturers have slight variations in their size, that is, sounds slight on paper but can make a big difference in the look of the cut. Here is a link to blade sizes that kind of helps to explain it:

http://www.bladeguyz.com/images/Clipper_Blade_Cutting_Height.pdf

If you  just want to do face, ears etc. you might look into the Wahl Arco Moser. It has one blade, adjustable to 5 lengths, and comes with attachment combs if you decide to do the body later. It is very reasonably priced and I've heard very good things about it. My friend that shows Springers swears she can't live without hers.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »
Thanks a lot for the help. The Moser does sound more flexible for my requirements. (German too, so there shouldn't be a problem buying here!)

I've found this on a German website - the name is just Moser "Arco", but it must be the right one - here's a link if you wouldn't mind checking.

http://www.alsa-hundewelt.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/5a4881b59b0e98965c20f09338c83c28/cl/alist/cnid/schermaschinen

The description mentions the variable head and combs, so it sounds like the one you were describing too.

Thanks again, so much for your help!

My OH is buying the clipper for me for my birthday, so around about the end of August I'll probably be posting lots of pictures of a half-clippered Oscar and begging for help again.

Love from over the big water

Chris & Oscar

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:33:29 PM »
Looks like it's pretty similar, it may just be a design variation for different countries. Here is what it looks like in the US: http://www.petagree.net/ord_clippers_wahl_moser-arco.html

I think that would be a good choice for you! (If you change your mind and decide you need the Oster, the Arco Moser will fetch a good price on Ebay, and you can tell OH you want that for Christmas or your next birthday!  :005:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne