Author Topic: mars coat king  (Read 890 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
mars coat king
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:07:33 AM »
Hi all, starting to question the use of the coat king wondered what the general thoughts are. Not wanting to clip my dogs have been using the mars to keep them neat which it does a great job, and then I scissor the legs and underneath only clipping the head and top of ears.
I entered a trial here Thursday night and my poor boy was soaked to the skin we had 40mls of rain, in the space of a couple of hours, it was bucketing down. He gave me that cocker look of "you have to be kidding" and wouldn't sit at the start peg (not that I was over insistent).
we then left the ring fastest time in and out of the ring :005:
 Because of this I'm questioning taking out all of the undercoat which is obviously there for a reason to protect the skin and keep them warm and probably protect from the heat what do you think?  How do the dogs in the uk handle the winter if they have no undercoat what about the working cockers, how short is there coat and how do you look after it.
I'm now thinking about just scissoring as I use mine in the field (show/bench) don't know what to do with the coat, do not want to clip as curly hair will make it harder to get burs and grass seeds out of :huh: :huh:
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: mars coat king
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »
I have an American cocker and I use the coat king on his back. Jesse gets hot very quickly and I am sure he appreciates having a "coller" back with no undercoat.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: mars coat king
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:26:15 PM »
I use the coat king all over, Lily still gets soaked through if its wet but looks far smarter without the masses of fluff and she dries quicker too

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.