Author Topic: Coat Pigmentation  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
Coat Pigmentation
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:50 PM »
 :D Hi just curious as to if the coat colour can change as a dog matures? Kasper was a really deep red as a pup and young adolescent, but I am convinced it is going lighter as he matures. Also his coat is quite light weight for a Cocker I presume it is due to the fact that he is Show/Worker cross (or at least I was initially told he is), but he is getting fluffy looking on his both his sides (more noticible after he has been in the sea). I have tugged at it to see if it comes away and it does but not that easily. I have a sprats 76 and a slicker will the sprats be enough to get rid of the fluff as it does not seem to do much?

Any advise will be much appriciated

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Coat Pigmentation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »
is he neutered?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
Rodaidh's coat has definitely changed colour as he's got older, he's a full worker and is also gold but his coat has gone the other way to Kasper's, he started off a light gold, almost cream in parts and now he's a much darker reddish colour on his head, back and sides.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:50:40 AM »
;)Yes he was neutered at the beginning of the year and I was aware it was likely to change his coat in terms of texture but did not realise it could also change the colour too  ph34r. He is still a deep red in parts just not all over like he used to be :'(, don't get me wrong he is still absolutely gorgeous but his coat looks dull and dry at the moment. He has oily fish at least once a week and I use a supplement daily so I just can't really understand. I sometimes wish I hadn't have had him neutered as it was purely for behavioural problems that in hindsight probably was just my inexperience with the breed (over reacting to a puppy pushing the boundires during adolescence), however I can't put them back so I will have to live with my decision

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »

Yep the change will be a side-effect of the neutering. Jimmy's coat also changed quite dramatically, both in texture and colour. I posted some before and after photos in this thread...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=43882.0

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »
My golden boy went from a mid-dark gold to fluffy light gold after he was done. I'm afraid he turned into a complete sheep and developed such a thick coat we had to clip him as it was the only way to keep it under control.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
Sam went the other way.  He was very light, almost cream and is now 'ginger' (as a little boy in the park said)  :005:

He's not neutered though.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »
 :D Thanks for the insight and Colin thanks for the link to Jimmy I stumbled across this thread earlier in the day, he looks just like Kasper used to in the first pic and I can see similarities in relation to how his coat is changing now. Jimmy looks sooooo snuggly in the most recent pics, so I guess it's not that bad really.

It is just sad that compromising the coat is the cost of castration, however (just to make me feel better for deciding to have him done) on the reverse a small price to pay to keep Kasper happy and healthy as I never intended on him using his god given assets anyway :005:

I will have to persevere with the Sprats comb for as long as I can get away with and if the clippers are the only way forward that thats what we will have to do. My OH likes the shaggy dog look but I do love my silky glossy red boy :'( (I do hate myself for being so shallow :shades:).

Just out of curiosity why does castration/spaying cause such dramatic changes in Cocker's,  I have never heard of (or should I say noticed) other breeds having similar problems in relation to overall coat condition as a result of the op.