Author Topic: Working Cocker Grooming advice  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Working Cocker Grooming advice
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

Ok - Honey is rapidly turning into a fluffy ball rather than a dog, so I really need some advice.  ph34r

There are 2 main problems - she hates being groomed and I have no idea what I am doing!

I have invested in a stripping blade and thinning scissors - does the stripping blade basically pull out the dead fur?  Is this just for short fur, or can it also be used on feathers?  How do the thinning scissors work?? I really love her long feathers, but they are just a little bit too much and get matted easily... I have no intention of reducing length, just thinning out bulk a little.

Is there anything else I need/should use??

And how do I stop her wanting to watch what I am doing (and then chew the brush!)??

Up till now I've only run a brush or comb through, teasing out any matts and trying to remove the worst of the excess fluff, so I've never used a pair of scissors on her, so have no idea where to start!!

Help??
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Oliver21508

Re: Working Cocker Grooming advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:28:08 PM »
My ollie chews the brush etc, so I try to give him treats whilst I'm grooming him, and after a little while, he just rolls over whilst you groom his tummy. It's only the first few minutes when he's interested in the brush.

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »
I can recomend a very local and very good groomer.  :005:  :005:
Millie will only tolerate me brushing her if there is a constant supply of squeezy cheese on hand, but according to the groomer she is a little   :angel: for her.

Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
We brush ours daily & Mindy goes to the groomers about 3 times a year - being working type she doesn't need more than that.  I did try to do her myself once but she wouldn't keep still & we both ended up really worked up.  Far easier to send her to someone confident & knows what they're doing.  ;)
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline spaniels ears

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
I've just asked the same question on a dog grooming site, the advice I have been given so far is that you need to aim at getting your dog on the table (they usually behave better there as it isn't their territory and it is better for your back e.t.c) and to have some cheese in your hand and let the dog lick it whilst you groom!!

Not had chance to try tis out yet, but it's worth a try, they usually do behave when they go to the groomers!!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:45:43 PM »
Yes a table or other raised surface (some people use an ironing board) is essential unless you want to wrestle on the floor with wriggly Cocker :005:

If you do a search, you should find quite a few threads which will help you eg this one on thinning out leg feathering : http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=52505.0. Try doing a search on any other aspects you're not sure of eg there are loads on trimming feet plus the one pinned to the top of the board. If the stripping blade you have is a Coat King, again there are lots of threads on using one if you do a search.

Good luck :D
Jane

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

I have tried putting her on something higher (We have a bay window, so used the huge windowsill this gives us).  She doesn't wriggle then, but she is absolutely terrified...  :-\  She's also already scared of the ironing board, without us trying to put her on there....  :005:

Will check out the thread you suggested - thank you!  :D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »
I have tried putting her on something higher (We have a bay window, so used the huge windowsill this gives us).  She doesn't wriggle then, but she is absolutely terrified...  :-\  She's also already scared of the ironing board, without us trying to put her on there....  :005:

If it's a very smooth painted surface, you'll need to use a rubber mat which will give her feet more grip & should make her feel less terrified. You could use a shower mat or perhaps an old car mat.
Jane

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »

I will try that, thanks!
 :D

I guess it's a case of starting gradually (up on the sill, and reward for standing calmly) before I start grooming up there....  :blink:

The knife I have is just a Mikki one, not a coat king  ph34r - looking at some of the threads here they seem to suggest that stripping knives cut the fur, and can cause it to grow back dull - I've only used it a little, but it seems to just be removing whole hairs - it has really brightened up her markings, which were looking quite dull due to old hairs...  Does this sound ok, or could I be causing damage to her coat in the long run??