Author Topic: Ollie's getting clipped!!!  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Ollie's getting clipped!!!
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »
Hiya

We have decided as a family that it's better for us and for Ollie that he is fully clipped out. He'll be way more comfortable and he'll be easier to keep clean. We thought we wouldn't be able to strip him, so it was on the back of everyone's mind really. We are still going to take him to fun companion shows and do the fun classes, like handsomest dog etc etc, and we'll still do agility. So we are happier all round. We are thinking of taking absolutely everything off except his tail, and leave a tiny bit of feathers on his legs. Should we clip his ears? Would it be wise to get him a coat at all? We are thinking of leaving him in the winter to grow a coat and then clip again early spring. We are thinking of getting a groomer to clip him first, and then we'll keep him clipped regularly ourselves. Is this all good? We are much happier that we have chosen this option and we know it'll make Ollie much happier too.  :lol2: :D :lol2:

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
Re: Ollie's getting clipped!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »
I have Archie part clipped (just a "tidy up") and the rest trimmed - leaving short skirt and feathers and have his ears slightly trimmed every 8 weeks at the groomers. Archie has a silky fine coat and a complete all over barely there clip looks ridiculous on him and doesn't look like a cocker at all. Tia however is like a yeti and has a all over "tidy up" clip but nothing too short. I would go to a groomer to clip as unless you know what your doing it can go soooooo wrong (i tried Tia once and i took 4 hours and she looked awful)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »
Why leave the tail and clip everything off - I think it would look ridiculous.   If you're going for the full clip which I don't blame you as makes life easier than don't see the point of leaving a big tail, the tail needs to be in proportion to the rest of the cut IMO.    It will be like having a mullett hairstyle for a cocker.   

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »
His tail is tiny, he has hardly any feathering on it. Also, if he has his tail off, he'll look like a beagle. We had the same cut with our late Cavalier and it looked fine and lovely.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »
His tail is tiny, he has hardly any feathering on it. Also, if he has his tail off, he'll look like a beagle. We had the same cut with our late Cavalier and it looked fine and lovely.

Ah I see, was thinking it was tail like Indie's got - its the fastest growing hair on her and is huge. 

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »
:lol2::005: I'm thinking of leaving his ears as well, cos then he may show some similarity to a cocker. :lol2: We can't wait to get him done cos we'll be able to see his lovely speckles.  :luv:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »
I clip Millie short as otherwise she takes so long to dry. I clip across the top of her head, back of neck, back, inside of ears and front of legs as short as I can (no guard on the clippers). Her ears, chest, belly and back of legs I clip to about 1-2 inches (No. 1 or No. 2 guard on clippers). I blend it in so there isn't any obvious differences. Her tail I clip the top short and leave feathers on the bottom. Charlie I do similarly but leave feathers and belly slightly longer and don't clip down the front of legs, I'm also more careful with the blending and use thinning scissors for some of it. When he's just been clipped you can see all the black spots on his back which my Mum loves  :D. I would take Ollie to a groomer first so you have an idea of what to do. Also his coat will be a lot easier to manage once he's lost the puppy fluff. Also if you're clipping him to keep him clean then you would be better to keep it short in the winter as well and use a coat/equefleece.

Sorry I haven't got any photos that really show you what I mean!

Millie

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »
it's really not that hard to handstrip  :-\ i have only had my cockers from April '07 and April '08 Freddy was already in show trim, so he just needed regular coat maintainance, Patrick however was a complete hairy bear-he had over a months worth of coat to get rid of  :005: but i managed it and in between that i stripped/trimmed a black pup for show too! basically i persevered with the difficulties of handstripping/trimming and it is worthwhile to read the critiques on your dogs saying that that they are 'well presented' and 'in good coat and condition' and also for people to come up to you at a show and say 'wow he looks great! much better than when you first got him' etc, etc but i guess each to their own  :-\ i know i love to handstrip and keep those lovely furnishings flowing, it gives me great satisfaction when all that hard work is rewarded!  :005:
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »
it's really not that hard to handstrip  :-\ i have only had my cockers from April '07 and April '08 Freddy was already in show trim, so he just needed regular coat maintainance, Patrick however was a complete hairy bear-he had over a months worth of coat to get rid of  :005: but i managed it and in between that i stripped/trimmed a black pup for show too! basically i persevered with the difficulties of handstripping/trimming and it is worthwhile to read the critiques on your dogs saying that that they are 'well presented' and 'in good coat and condition' and also for people to come up to you at a show and say 'wow he looks great! much better than when you first got him' etc, etc but i guess each to their own  :-\ i know i love to handstrip and keep those lovely furnishings flowing, it gives me great satisfaction when all that hard work is rewarded!  :005:

And a great job you did of him when i seen him at a show  :luv:  ;) Fancy having Bob for a couple of hours sometime  :P

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »

And a great job you did of him when i seen him at a show  :luv:  ;) Fancy having Bob for a couple of hours sometime  :P

why thank you!  :luv: :005: Ooh yes please!  :D i would love to get my hands on some 'puppy fluff'!  :005:
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Also if you're clipping him to keep him clean then you would be better to keep it short in the winter as well and use a coat/equefleece.

Thank you. I'll do that then.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »
Iif you're clipping him to keep him clean then you would be better to keep it short in the winter as well and use a coat/equefleece.

Mine are getting a clip on thursday precisely for this reason but they look fine clipped out plus they often feel better. I don't use a coat though if they're running around as they keep warm anyway plus Wilf loves mud bathing or jumping in the River Taff
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
After my latest disaster with Eric and a groomer I recommend you make it very clear what you want. I asked my groomer to just trim Eric's ears and clip the insides, leave a bit of a shirt and shortish feathers on the backs of his front legs and the fronts of his back legs. As you have seen from the pics that wasn't what I got but hey ho  ::)
It is lovely when they are clipped and you can see all their markings. If you don't look at Eric's head at the moment he looks like a baby pointer  :005: Definitely don't let them clip all his ears  :'( It has made Eric's snout look massive.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
If he's matter like you say they might want to take it all off this time and start from scratch, personally i love seeing them clipped, they look soooooo happy when they come home without being weighed down with all their fluff :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »
I'm hoping to go to this groomer that lets you stay with them, but I will be very clear. I'll tell them to leave his ears and tail alone, and leave shortish feathers.