Author Topic: Finally relented  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
Finally relented
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
 :-\ Well I have done it, took Kasper to the groomers today having decided to let her loose with the clippers. He had such a lovely coat pre neutering and we did well to keep it maintained for so long after, but he had started to look very dull and frizzy. I must say he does look cute and she did not skin him but it is still very differant :blink:, his coat wasn't thick and was still flat just not as viberant and healthy looking as it used to be.

:D Am sure Kasper will be much more comfortable, he was a dream to dry after his afternoon swim and no detangling to do afterwards, just hope I have done the right thing as I know there is no going back.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Finally relented
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
Ah, you've come over to the dark side  :005: Once you get used to it you'll like it and probably even start asking for a shorter cut!  :lol2:

The "no turning back" part is usually the neutering, the coat will stay manageable for a while but then even the strongest of us concede defeat  ::)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »
It must be a dilema as what to do

I'm glad i don't have this decision to make

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:21:37 AM »
Awwwwwwwww. I bet Kasper looks gorgeous.  :luv: I have 4 of my Cockers clipped by myself.  ;) Two have a clip similar to a show style and the other two are shorter as they are the mucky pair.  ;) and then obviously I hand strip Tally. I love the look of Tally of course and would never go near him with clippers as he shows, but it is a lot of work to maintain and my clipped girl Avs actually has more hair.  :shades: I love the look of all of them and they all look like Cockers.  ;) and they are  all extremely happy themselves. You do need to be 100% clear on what you want though as a lot of groomers seem to be a bit clipper happy.  :shades: Mind you a lot of the customers that come into me wont give me a clear answer to what they want and quite often just say, it's up to you, what ever you think is best. Which really gives a lot of groomers free rain to do whatever.  :-\ I always ask more questions and make sure I am sure of what they want, but it seems a lot wouldn't.  :shades: Just be clear.  :shades:  I do think we need piccies of the handsome Kasper though.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Would love to see some pics, I clip mine as its easier, they are both mucky scruffy pups and its so much easier to get them dry after a swim or bath. I did love their long shaggy coats though but its not practical as they love mud. I keep their skirt and feathers so they look like cockers but have short backs and legs
I tend to shorten the skirt and feathers though before a beach holiday. I do it myself then I can have it as short or as long as I want their coat to be.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
I'd love to see some pics too. I've been battling with William's coat, mainly with thinning scissors and a bit of coat king use for the 4 years since he was castrated. He looks nice when I've just done him, but he gets matted easily because his coat is very fluffy over his ribs.

With my previous 2 boys I gave in and clipped the gold one from about 6 years old. He wasn't castrated but had a slightly coarse and curly coat. I held out with the black one until he was about 8 because his coat was so silky and laid flat, although there was lots of it.

I think the "no turning back" point with William will come when little Louis turns into a mini Afghan. He's already got hobbit feet and he's only 6 weeks old!

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »
 :D Will definitely post some pics, just need to borrow a camera as I threw mine away by accident whilst clearing out (oops a very expensive mistake)  :lol2: