Author Topic: Working cocker - what brush?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline jla

Working cocker - what brush?
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
Just wondering if anyone out there with a WC could advise what brush I could use on Reah.  She has a very fine, silky coat - no hint of curl / top knot etc, but she is moulting in a BIG way - everything is covered in fine white hairs.

I tried a Kong zoom groom on her the other day which got 0 out.  I want to be able to give her a good brush periodically to get rid of the stuff coming out but just can't seem to find the best thing to use.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Working cocker - what brush?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
I use a soft slicker brush and a fine toothed metal comb on Rodaidh and Caoimhe who both have fine, silky coats too. With their coats neither of them needs much grooming, the slicker all over their body every now and then to get rid of loose hairs and then the comb every couple of days for their ears and feathering does the job.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
wide toothed metal comb with a rubber band wound through it  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline jla

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
I've got a rotating pin comb that I use on feathers, tail and ears (couresty of my long coat GSD) so will carry on with that.

Do you find that the slicker gets out the fur then?  The rubber band approach is interesting - does that not pull at the coat and hurt?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »
Yeah it seems to catch most of the loose hairs. I use a comb and rubber band on Tilly who has a much woolier, tuftier coat but don't need it for Caoimhe or Ro, their coats are smooth and just need the loose hairs taking out. 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
Jarv hates the slicker and tolerates the comb and rubber band :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
I have two workers, a blue roan and a solid black.
They have lovely glossy coats with fine hair.  I never use a brush on them as never found one that is any good for their coats  >:(
I have used a furminator but couldn't get on with it although it did remove lots of old undercoat.
At the moment I am using a wide tooth comb with an elastic band.  I keep tension on the dog's skin and it removes LOTS of the old undercoat quite easily.  I tend to do it in short sessions 10-15 minutes a few times a day.
I use a slicker when they have 'collected' things in their coats after a walk  :005: but don't find it very effective otherwise.
I have a bag of things I have tried- various slickers, bristle brushes, nylon tooth brushes, zoom grooms furminator etc. >:(
What works for one dog may not work for another  ;)
I am happy just using the comb and the rubber band as it works great on MY dogs and THEIR coats  :D
( I have found that as they have got older, they are now two and half years, their coats have got longer and wavier  ;) the blue roan coat is short and silkier than her sister's black heavier coat  ;)

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
a zoom groom works on the silkier coats as well  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »
wide toothed metal comb with a rubber band wound through it  ;)

Use this on fernie - but mainly just her ears and feathering, as the rest of her is so silky and hardly ever needs a brush (unless it's to get the dry mud off after a muddy walk  :005: )

Have a slicker brush that I use on her in burr season - also started her getting used to the slicker from the day we got her