Author Topic: Should I get her clipped?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
Should I get her clipped?
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
Ruby is nearly 2 years old and has a very heavy coat.  She hates being groomed.  For the last several weeks we have been away from home caring for my (late) terminally ill MIL.  During this time Ruby has been fed, walked and loved................but not groomed! She is now full of matts, I am almost embarrassed to take her to the groomer.  Should I get her clipped? She hasn't been clipped before.
Lynn

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Should I get her clipped?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
Its totally up to you really  :-\  You could either ask the groomer to just clip out the matts & carry on as normal, as it will grow back, or have her clipped  :shades:
Even though i groom all of mine myself they still occasionally get matts.  Out of my 4, Alfie is the only one that gets clipped.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
Thanks Ninasmum, I really don't want to have her clipped, but think I might have to........ :shades: She has loads of matts where her harness has been, also on her tummy and legs.  At the moment she looks like an unloved/ unwanted rescue dog!!!
Lynn

Offline The crazy hut

• Donator
  • I looooove chocklit
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
Before you go the whole hog and clip, have you tried a coat king?

I used to have Wisp clipped but now use the coat king instead.  He hates anything near his back end but I can quickly 'comb' out any matted bits with the coat king.

Just a thought  ;)
Wisp, Perri and Ambi

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
Sorry for the "2 weeks" late reply  :embarassed: :embarassed:  I do have a Coat King so between that and scissors I have been able to get rid of some of the matts.  My regular groomer has told me that she now only works 3 mornings a week and is booked up solid!

So after lots of phone calls..I have found a new groomer  :clapping:  I haven't met her yet, but have had a long chat with her (she sounds really lovely   :luv:)  She is going to have a look at Ruby then decide whether she can cut the matts out or not.

I have made an appointment for Ruby this Saturday.  I suspect that she will have to be clipped............
Lynn

Offline grracee

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
I've just clipped Charlie's coat myself as after being castrated earlier on in the year his coat had gone quite thick and wild looking so I decided it would be easier to clip it off. I've not normally been a fan of the clipped look but he looks so much better now and I think he feels better too! Good luck for the appointment with Ruby this weekend  :D

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »
Thanks Grace, she has always been fluffy........but since she was spayed at the end of last year she looks like a sheepskin rug  :005: :005:
Lynn

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
Looking forward to the 'after' pics once Ruby has had her appointment! Hope all goes well. Pleased you've found another groomer, i'm having a nightmare! Seems it is harder to find a decent dog groomer than a decent hairdresser!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »
Thanks jaybee  :luv:  I will try to take some "Before & After" pics.  I suspect she will go from looking like a sheepskin rug to looking like a goat  :005: :005:
Lynn

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
Well, we are back from the groomers and Ruby's "new do" is every bit as drastic as I thought.  She does indeed look like a goat  :o

When we arrived, the groomer came to the gate to meet us.  Both Ruby and I "took to her" straight away.  She had a good look at Ruby and said the matts were so close to the skin that the only real option was to clip her very, very short  :o ( in other words, she had to be scalped!!)

I left Ruby with her for 1 1/2 hours and returned to find Ruby running round like a loony in the groomers garden looking like a goat.......but a very happy goat  :005: and she has been behaving like a puppy ever since we got home  :luv:

While she doesn't even resemble a cocker anymore.........I know her coat will grow back and she seems sooo much happier  :D

I was a bit worried about how she would react to the clippers as she has never been clipped before, but the groomer said she was a really good girl and wished all the dogs she grooms were as well behaved  :luv:

Will try and post some pics later................but be warned!!

Even though this was so drastic, Ruby really seemed to like the groomer and came home really happy (she seemed far happier than she did with our previous groomer) So I have booked another appointment for a shampoo and tidy up in January.

BTW, I popped into PAH and bought her a lovely new purple coat!
Lynn

Offline Bibby

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
You are the only other person I have heard refer to a cocker as a goat!Every time Poppy goes he says "Oh no, she wil come back looking like a goat" - he hates it when she is cut, much prefers her long and shaggy, however not keen on the grooming himself so I have the final say - can't wait to see the pictures!
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
Bibby, you'd better tell OH to brace himself then, she hasn't just been cut, she has been shorn!!  I agree with him....much prefer her long and shaggy, but sadly this time I had no choice really.

Will try and get some "after" pics this evening and post later.
Lynn

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
Glad you've found a good groomer Lynn - they are like gold dust.  I think you've done the right thing.  I would have done the same if Toby had lots of mats and this time of year it's a nightmare trying to stay "on top" of his coat.

I bet she looks and feels loads better and I can't wait to see piccies.  Can we see her purple coat as well?  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Bibby

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Lynn, after my trip yesterday I have my own goat for him to laugh at!
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
thanks Mel, I'm sure she feels better...........but I'm not sure that she looks better!!  I still feel totally neglectful  :'( and found myself explaining the whole situation to the new groomer today!! She was absolutely lovely though and told me not to worry about it  :luv:

Oh No Bibby, have you had Poppy clipped??  :005:
Lynn